Sunday, February 7, 2016

Wandering Boots tour Day 8 Booting Paihia to Warkworth




By the numbers
11.15kms
16,137 steps
I was hoping that since I was leaving Paihia and the Bay of Islands today that I would leave the wet weather behind. I was lucky leaving for the bus and getting breakfast that I did not get wet at all as it was trying to be sunny. I did see that today we a cruise ship sitting off shore and near the Naval ships. By the time i left for the bus there were free cruise bus’ driving around town dropping people off. I was surprised arriving at the bus stop to find there were a few people waiting at the stop and they seemed to be heading towards Auckland. Very few people got off at the other bus stops heading to the city.


The weather did change once we left Paihia almost literally just around the corner as we headed towards Opua. In some places the rain did become heavy and I was worried the weather would mean we could be late. The rain did actually stick around even when we did reach the outskirts of Warkworth. Since I had free internet while on the bus, I was able to post pictures as we went that I took from. It was even better when Claude commented on some I had taken of Hikorangi as he knew where uncle Don had bought his first bike for the paper run or another family owned a business that had a good reputation. I thought we were stopping at the cafe on the Bynderwyn at the turn off to Maungaturoto that takes you towards Dargaville too.  The two ladies that got off were hit with driving rain and I did realise that cafe had closed. It must have been when the bus’ had stopped going there and went to another place.

Once I had made it to Warkworth I had to walk a short distance to where I am staying in the lodge. I wanted to stay in Warkworth as it looked like an interesting place to stay outside of Auckland as it is only an hour by bus into the city. I wanted to explore some of the buildings that I had passed on the bus. After checking in, I went for a walk to the information centre and found they no longer have a heritage trail pamphlet to hand out. I did take a picture of the map on my phone with numbers, but nothing to explain what the numbers were. The lady at the info centre also suggested that I do so too. I had to guess what it was that I was looking at. I had a pretty fair idea especially when I found the old band building, War memorial and even the Masonic Lodge. I was annoyed when I found the old Town Hall was being renovated though as it said on the panels, it was being Earthquake proofed. Regardless the town is nice to be in and while I had several spots of rain I did not need my wet weather gear and it was clearing up. I might have walked along the wharf visiting the restored scow, the Jane Gifford and the local cemetery.

Apart from my pot luck at the numbers, which I think could actually be wrong and getting me lost. For example the town hall was number 19, but I think it was wrong on the map getting me out of whack. Not that I am complaining.  I could have walked to the museum, but that to me was a little too far out of town. I don’t know what it would be like to walk there unless I was here for a day or so and not an afternoon. It is good not having to actually walk to the Auckland hostel as Warkworth is something different to explore. There are other places, but I think I needed to spend some time here instead. I got fish and chips from the Chinese restaurant and went to the park to eat it. I was visited by a duck, an evil little sparrow that you had to be on the ball in watching where it was and seagulls. One second the sparrow would be at your feet and the next on the table. I bet if you did not pay attention then it would be in your food. I actually had one in Dunedin that tried to eat my burger while I was eating it. I found it funny how I seem to find all the free wifi spots in the area. The banks are easy along with a new one that I found today, which is the stationary Warehouse. I only have a small amount where I am staying, but it will get the job done.

Tomorrow the next leg of my trip occurs, where I will be heading to Taupo. The one place where I have not actually been and a big tourist destination. I have been wanting to visit for years, but it had always been a pit stop on the bus on the way through. I will be spending two full days there and see how it goes after the first day. I end up getting there late tomorrow so it should be interesting especially when washing is needed to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment