Saturday, February 13, 2016

Day 14 Smelly Boots for Breakfast at Tiffany’s




By the numbers
28,468 steps
19.61kms

Te Kuiti seems to be the sheep capital of New Zealand and is proud of that fact and even has links to Te Kooti though it was only to do with him being in the area, but something I need to read up on. The town slogan seems to be Where Legends are Made. I thought they would make something about the running of the sheep they do in their yearly muster, but they have that elsewhere too. Trains and trucks do seem to rumble past at night, but I was no worried since I had a comfortable bed to sleep in.

I decided today was the day that I would head out to the Mangaokewa Gorge scenic reserve. Though it was my only full day in Te Kuiti as I would be leaving for New Plymouth tomorrow. The next destination of my solo trip. My clothes that I had hung up to dry were dry except for the shorts. I hung them in the sun before I left for breakfast and then my wander up the road. I had my trusty map that I would take anywhere even if I was concerned I would be going in the wrong direction. I had breakfast at Tiffany’s, which I would do regardless mainly for the joke and the movie that I have not seen. I did get some sandwiches for lunch as it is never a good idea to not have something you can eat especially when you are on the move. Lessons I have learnt too many times when I have been out longer than expected.

After my big breakfast I decided now was the time to head out to that gorge and see the sights while I was at it. For part of the way there was a footpath, but I knew that would end really soon and I had no idea where until I got there. I found the rugby club that also had a dedication to its players and some living legends thing about the Meads. I have no idea who they are at all, but someone will likely tell me. A small sign nearby was for the national walking trail, but I had a look later and no idea where the actual trail would have started. The walk to the entrance to the gorge was not that far actually as it was around 3kms from town, but no footpath and narrow verges that you have to be aware of traffic, which was not as heavy as I thought it would be.

The Mangaokewa Gorge was meant to be part of the local Maori as a hunting and medicine ground. The entrance to the side road was unexpected and actually pretty quick if you did not take any notice of the sign. On the way I knew there was a viaduct that the trains go over or just a railway bridge. The viaduct is known as the Mangaokewa Viaduct and is meant to be historic though I have read that its on the register. I was not expecting it to be above me though I had my hat to blame since I didn’t notice it until I was on the other side of the bridge. Looking up it looked interesting, but I really wasn’t going to climb the hill as I might be in trouble if a train goes past me. Once at the grounds there were very few people at that time of morning and I had to cross a narrow one person bridge that took me to the walking trail. It was like I was going through spiders webs, but not big ones like at home. The walk takes around an hour and half, which includes a cascade and a waterfall though both were small ones.

Once I returned to the reserve park, I had something to eat and drink while cooling down. The weather was indeed hot enough for me. The walk back to town was not very long though I needed to sit down as my feet were getting sore. The place I was heading for was my room as I thought it was best to have the afternoon off from doing very much at all. I did some reading and when I went to go out gain for dinner, I found it had been raining. Once I got back from getting some food the heavens opened up and poured down. I call it an easy day and time to watch Indiana Jones. There are two motorbikes staying here as well though I have not spoken to them and they look like tourers.

No comments:

Post a Comment