Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Wandering Boots tour Day 11 Falling boots



By the numbers

24.94kms

36,167 steps

Fitbit claims I have my first hiking boot badge
Today the plan was to wander out to the Huka Falls, which is the local Taupo waterfall that is part of the mighty Waikato river system. According to something I read yesterday if you try to kayak down it then the police may fine you $10,000. I found this interesting until I seen it today. I had gotten up very early at 6am as I wanted to get some food before leaving on the walk. I had originally thought of eating two muesli bars while wandering along the walk, but thought better. Maccas was having some problems too with their systems and the techs had told the staff there was an error when they had rang them.

I had a map of the walking trail to Huka Falls, but the online map had the trail ending elsewhere so it looked like I could not make it very far at all. The morning was really sunny and warm, but I found my way easily as I had to cross the road from the Control gates that were next to the highway. There I found was a path that would take me all the way to the falls. The path was a shared one for both cyclists and walkers, but I was hoping to be the only one wandering around at that time of morning. The Walk took me past a private farm or zoo that was called cherry Island reserve. There was nothing to say what it was other than having its own bridge. The walking track took me past the Taupo water treatment plant where nearby on the map said there was a cemetery that I would checkout when I got back. The bungy jump was actually still closed when I wandered past though I was getting some good photos of the area.

The Spa thermal park was my next step o getting to the falls as I had to cross that to find the trail to the falls. I was happy that I had decided to grab a big bottle of water as it would be needed. Bikes were sent off onto one path and walkers on a different one entirely. At one end of the park is a thermal stream where hot water flows into the Waikato. People were swimming there when I went past and then I was on the main track that would take an hour to get to the waterfall. An hour later after some really great views of the river, I could hear the waterfall in the distance. I got there just before 10am and found the fall was really loud running through the gorge. Something I cannot believe is that the water can be really clear and a really blue colour. I decided I had to buy another bottle of water from the shop that was at the falls. I did see the local bus waiting nearby though I did find out the night before that its pretty regular every hour. I contemplated wandering the 2 hours to the dam or to the terraces to see what was there. There were plenty of tourists floating around on the bridge and some of them seemed to be into yelling in your ear when talking to others. The loos here you had to pay for as well.

Deciding it would be best that I walk back instead of trying to walk further up the road was actually pushing my luck. Armed with a Huka Falls magnet, I ambled back towards the thermal park an hour or so away depending on how fast you walked. I did see some well dressed tourists who probably only walked several metres into the path before turning back, but I just powered past them. I tried to take pictures of some birds, but they were too fast for me even if I thought they had pretty calls. I had to have frequent sit downs on the way back and ate two of my muesli bars, which would be my lunch. There were more people wallowing in the thermal pools when I wandered past though I did get a good view of those getting into the water. There was something I wanted to look at before I went passed the Bungy and that was that was the AC baths that I had read about with the Armed Constabulary. It turned out to be a big sports complex with a pool and rock climbing equipment.

On the way back I called into the Taupo cemetery on Ricket street. Turns out the family of the same name had donated land for the cemetery though I did find some interesting headstones it seemed to be more of a lawn cemetery. I did see family of the Rickets all in a row and the early settlers part did not seem that early though I did have some locals who seemed to be following me around or keeping an eye on me. I was feeling tired so thought I better head back quicker than I thought I should. I had noticed on my arm as I passed the control gates that I had some liquid bubbles on my arm that looked like sweat, but was not. I thought this was telling me I needed to drink more and get out of the sun. I had nearly finished all my water by this time. Wandering into town I had a quick look in the bookshop before deciding I needed to call it a day.

Once back I found I had already walked 20kms and my boots were off, which came as a relief. I had a quick look on my computer before going for a shower and having a lie down for half hour or so. By that time I was after some decent food and wanted a steak. I found my steak meal at the pub with a Waikato Draught. The night before I had pizza so I was happy with that meal. Back to the bookshop afterwards and a look around I found a book on New Zealand cemeteries and one of a short version of the New Zealand Wars. This time of year has been warmer than I had expected, but luckily there has been no need for cold weather gear though might find that when I get to Wellington. Tomorrow I am heading to Hamilton in the morning so I can catch the bus to T Kuiti the next day.

2 comments:

  1. Bravo, Brad! Nothing like a good meal after a huge trek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn. It was nice to eat something like that.

      Delete