Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Wandering Boots Day 3 Farming Boots in Puhi Puhi




By the numbers
Steps: 5,878
Kilometers 4.06kms

Today was actually a really easy day for me as I did not get up to that much other than going out for a drive with Claude out to see some family members. We were planning on going out to see some cousins as in Glen who wanted to meet up with me.

The day began with going to the library and Claude was going to bring some books back and do some other errands while I had a look at some of the nonfiction books. I found several that I thought were interesting. One was about Forgotten Heritage, which was about buildings that had been demolished, quake damaged or just gone through time. One on the history of Te Kuiti, which was funny as I am visiting there soon. The last one was about Hikoi – Forty Years of Maori Protest. I did flick to the Waitangi Day protests, but there was nothing there that I had not read before or have written about. Though I never seen anything about Raglan and the Golf Course. I did wander through the local shops and the video store looking at the Vampire movies for something to do.


Once I had been collected and we went back it was really time to go out again after lunch as we were going out to Cousin Glen’s place. The first place on the way out to Puhi Puhi was the Kaurihohore Cemetery known as Kauri for short. We had some family buried there recently and wanted to visit them.  I did not realise that the church on the grounds was a historic church that had been built in 1861 and is recognised as the oldest Presbyterian church in Northland, New Zealand. There is a dedication to the first settlers in the area on the front fence too.

The next place we went out to was Stephanie’s farm as she had a bit of land and a huge garden that we both were shown around. It was interesting to see the different plants and to know that she had little tidbits around. We didn’t stay very long and were soon off to have a look around Uncle Don’s old property. We had something to eat while looking around the area and reminiscing about the past. Then it was time to drive out to Glen’s place. I had met him and the others when they were last on the Gold Coast several years ago. They loved my tennis skills so much that they are still talking about it. They are all water skiers especially with one in San Diego at College there on a Scholarship I think. I was asked what my skiing was like and I said that it would be more like getting an enema. Somehow the conversation went from Glen wanting a beer to me saying it was ‘Beer O’clock’. Right after my coffee I was given a beer. That was a great way of wanting a beer and putting the idea into your guests head to make them like the idea too. It did work for me. They have a lake on the property where they do the jumps including a beach. I thought this was pretty cool. I was shown around including explained the dangerous dams act though I have to look that one up myself.  They release water into the local stream to keep it running smoothly and where the boundary of the farm actually was. It was getting to that time where we had to take off and as we left the driveway onto the narrow road I seen a pheasant dart out and run across the road. I was too late and at a bad angle to take a picture at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment