Thursday, February 18, 2016

Wandering boots tour: Day 20 Singing boots in the rain




By the numbers
13.80 kms
19,905 steps
The morning looked like it might rain and I had an interesting night as it had gotten cold at one stage where I needed a blanket on and then again became warm so all was good and think it was just the cloud cover cooling things down I hope. I let myself sleep in a little bit as I had been getting up around 7am nearly every morning. When I did walk out of the hostel the sky decided right then was the time to open up and splatter me with rain. Luckily I had my wet weather gear with me and I put my brolly up so that I wouldn’t get wet since there was no shelter for a little bit. The rain came down hard and I had been lucky with my gear being on my person at the time. I had a feed that I needed before heading off again.

The weather had turned nasty while I had eaten and it was now pouring though I now had on my full wet weather gear as I did not want to get caught like I had been in Waitangi with the rain driving into me and everything I wore was wet. I headed for the information centre where I wanted the local heritage guide and came out with that and the Bridge to Nowhere information. I also came across my mystery friend from last time the mystery wifi that told me I could renew. I now had mystery wifi from the information centre that would connect me in Palmerston North too. I travel through tomorrow so should be interesting as it is a meal break though I don’t think I will be that hungry. Visiting the loo, I found they have a little museum display in there too of objects that had been found when they had done an archaeological dig somewhere. I found this to be different and not seen before.

I walked out still contemplating going up the hill by elevator to see the Durie Hill memorial tower. I took the elevator up like I did last time I was there though I wanted to do that again although this time it was wet. I had to pay $2 for the pleasure of going up the hill without getting wet and the plan was to stay up there for a little bit. I did not last as long as I thought I would as I pulled out my main camera and it was windy and rain was hitting the camera. I was worried that it might get broken if I left it out. I still have not had to change the batteries even though I have taken heaps of pictures while I been away. I was not going to walk up 175 or so steps up the Durie tower as I did not know how slippery it would get with the steps being wet. Durie tower is one that was for the Durie Hill residents who wanted their own memorial. I ended up walking down the steps and being careful as I did not want to slip in case the rain made them that way. I made it down to the bottom alright without a problem even though it was still raining.

I wandered back to the information centre to have a coffee and wondered where I could go next. I headed towards the tram centre to find they were really closed for the foreseeable future as there was a flood in 2015 that damaged their equipment. I just thought their website had not been updated so found it was true. I ended up having a look in the river boat museum to get out of the rain as it seemed like it was coming down again. The museum was interesting though I could have gone on the boat ride later tonight at 5pm, but it had drinks on board. It was the MV Wairua that goes out of tours. There did seem to be plenty of work on the water before roads came to be and they mentioned the Bridge to Nowhere as a soldiers settlement and people walking away when things failed. Pipriki did once have two redoubts and a Pa nearby so that could be something interesting to look at again. Inside they did have the MV Ongarue that is just a display now. They only need a donation to enter though I did give them some money and I was thanked for doing so. I think there was a lot o activity that was not shown that went on in the water though there was mention of the Waka in the area, although very few exist anymore in the region. There had been plenty of books written about life on the water and they did show examples.

I wanted to find some plaques that I had not seen before as Queen’s park with the museum, Library and Sarjeant gallery are all located. I had found the plaque as I had only seen the war memorial before. The park had once been the Rutland Stockade during the early 1800s with soldiers and nearby in the Cook’s Gardens was another one called the York Stockade all defensive positions. Rutland had also been a prison at one stage. They did find evidence that had been buried of the stockade. The weather had actually cleared up by this time though I was ready to head back to the hostel after I wandered over the Cook’s Gardens. The gardens were named after Captain James Cook and not a cook of some sort. I did have a good wander around.

I went back to the hostel where I spent the rest of the afternoon having a rest and sorting out my gear for tomorrow when I head to Wellington. I am enjoying the book Unearthly Landscapes, which is about cemeteries in New Zealand. It kept me indoors for a little while and I was happy to be there to read something interesting. I hope the weather is not too bad on my walk to the bus, but at least I know where I am going, which is good. The last part of my journey will begin from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment