Friday, February 12, 2016

Wandering boots tour: - Day 13 Boots missing in Te Kuiti





By the numbers
13,645 steps
9.40kms

Today was the day that I make my way to Te Kuiti where I will spend a couple of days before heading off to the next destination. The hostel was not that bad really and it was quiet enough. I had to repack my bag to make it fit a little bit better though that was not really a problem at all. I had some dirty washing in the bag now though no idea if that was a little on the nose. I did have a look around before I ended up getting a pie and no coffee when the person at the bakery said the machine did not do black coffee only Brazilian. No idea if that is actually black or not. It didn’t take long before the time was up for me to head off to the bus.

While waiting for the bus a kid walked into my main bag and said ‘ow, that hurts’. I thought that was funny though I think he did that on purpose as his mum was on the other side of me. I was starting to wonder about the bus being a little late though he did turn up around 20 minutes late though no idea why. The bus was actually one of the ones that did not have Wifi at all so for a bus trip I was internetless. I am wondering if its something to do with the bus service that is going through The Kings country. The driver did say that he was running behind time. A nearby town did get my interest as we passed through, Te Awamutu for being the rose city, but I seen a traditional church and cemetery that is around it. Once we made it to Otorohanga, I thought we were home free until the bus had to turn around due to my amusement in forgetting to let someone off. Once we got to Te Kuiti, which luckily was our lunch break as the driver has to have his required break. He vanished into the loo at the Tiffany Cafe. I needed to use the loo as well and I waited for the driver as he went for the food so I caught him before he purchased anything. My amusement still had me when I mentioned the person before me and he told me a bull story about the manifest being screwed up as I had seen my name, which included Te Kuiti. He actually did not believe that I had a stop at that location though I was told he had picked people up.

I had my map that I had pulled out when the driver had gone to the loo so I had a small idea on where to look for my accommodation. I was staying in a motel, but I decided to mix things up a touch by going on the wrong direction as I had to cross the railway lines that are still active. It was not too hard to find where I was going though I did wonder about a railway overpass that I did not know if it was open for the public. I would find later that it was another and quicker way over the rails. The motel was not that hard to find at all and I was able to get into my room pretty quickly. The room was nice and I was offered milk, which surprised the guy that I did not drink it. After sorting out my stuff I was off and out into the world.

I found my way round the town pretty easily and I was heading to the information centre. I did ask about the walk to the local gorge, which is 3kms down the road. I was told it is safe to walk down the side of the road and not to do it at night, which I really was not going to do at all. The temp they were calling for today in Te Kuiti was 30C and it was feeling pretty warm like it was exactly that. I stopped to get some sun cream and a big bottle of water as I think I need it while I go on the walks that I end up going on as the weather just seems to get warmer and warmer, which I am finding imposable for New Zealand. After a little while of wandering around and finding the big shearer, I thought it would be a good idea to head back for a shower as I was feeling hot. Since I was running out of some clothes and the weather was hot I decided it was best to wash some clothes in the sink with soap. It might not be right, but now I have to wait for them to dry.

The motel seemed to be fill up pretty quick and I did want to know when some shops opened in the morning. I still have no idea when they pen, but I do want Breakfast at Tiffany’s, which is the name of the cafe, not the breakfast part. I know where I am going in the morning so everything in that way is sorted. Pretty sure the stuff that I did wash will be dry by morning and it is just lucky that its not winter or the weather is still cool. I am hoping that the weather will not be as hot as the predictions are as I would melt into a pool of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment