Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Wandering Boots tour Day 24 Lost Boots in Porirua




By the numbers
3 trains
26,244 steps
18.08kms

Today is the last day in Wellington and I was having a relaxed day of it all as I wandered to the train station. I had taken my time as I was trying o get some photos I had taken online and they were taking a very long time. Seems that the hostel’s internet since it is free works very slowly and allows you to do stuff when it wants to. I was able to get an all day rover ticket that let me go on any train all day, which is pretty good in itself and a conductor comes along and punches holes in them. Today I was heading to Mana Station and Porirua both near Wellington.

Mana Station, which is two stops after Porirua had the remains of the Paremata Barracks that were built to head off the conflict with the Maori. I found the Barracks pretty easily as they were near the marine, but I wa wondering how close until I walked through the park. They were built in the 1850s and fell down during an earthquake. I wasn’t there for very long as I wanted to get the train to Porirua. I may have had a little bit of time before I got to the hospital tour, but I had a reputation for getting myself lost. Lost I did get as I really was not sure where I should be heading to after I got off the train and there was no map to tell me. I found a nearby Maccas where I had lunch to use their wifi so I could find a map to find out where I was meant to go. Funny thing was the road I wanted was just across the road.

I knew the area was a hospital, but it wasn’t actually fully sign posted unless I had to walk to the main buildings before it would be. Wandering up I was wondering how far this place actually was as I followed the signs for museum. It did not take long before I found it and I waited for around 10 mins before the guy opened the door. The tours are once a week on a Tuesday, which is why its ended up being a mid week fly home. What I did not realise at the time was the whole area with the Porirua Asylum was actually very big and very self sufficient with the patients being allowed to work as well. The heating was all steam pipes and later normal bar heaters were installed once there were no patients left. Buildings over time were knocked down and replaced, the war interrupted expansion plans and the main asylum building did end up being condemned after an earthquake in the 1950s I think it was. There was no real medical book keeping by the nurses as an example was shown that over 6 months patient notes were written down around 6 times that was if at all. Many records were destroyed through a steam pipe leak in the basement. The patients did do ‘normal’ things as the tour guide told me like the men wanted to follow the ladies who were going skinny dipping or playing sports with the navy who would do so with the doctors. Everything still worked even though they were patients. Some would still be there even though they were good, but people knew that they would have their episodes so would have to stay. I never knew they would have a tennis court that still survives til this very day. It was as though life was going on.

This was well before respite as well since people in need of care were in the area too. The high secure patients were sent elsewhere. It was interesting to see how everything changed over time with the land they had and the township growing nearby. Sometimes the nurses did sleep on the ward in special rooms if there were no rooms for then in the nurses quarters. There were accounts of more patients than beds as the doctor had to step over the sleeping bodies at night to make his way through the building. Another group of people wanted a tour and there were only two tour guides who were doing the tours. The equipment used were very different to today’s world including the dentist equipment. They did not have an iron lung or anything, but an early X Ray machine. I was not allowed to take pictures, which was understandable. The whole place was being knocked down, rebuilt or removed after 30 or so years. If times had been different the hospital would have been very different altogether. The children of the doctors played in the area around the doctor houses building forts and cubby houses.

Once my time was over, I headed back to the train station after a quick wander through the shopping area outside the shopping centre. I don’t know what else I really wanted to look at other than head back to the city. There wasn’t much else I really wanted to do other than sort out my bag before I head off home tomorrow. There were several books that I was after that I had found so I grabbed them and hopefully now my bag wont weigh too much, but will be bang on the weight it is meant to be. It has been a pretty good trip without any real problems at all other than the usual walking the wrong way type of thing. The heat down in Wellington has been really mild apart from way up north where I tend to have oiled. The funny thing is I will go home with a tan. There is still heaps for me to do over here and I doubt I would have problems or ever be that bored that I will have nothing at all to do. There are places that I still have not visited like the Wellington museum, the national library or even the Dominion museum that was pointed out to me earlier today.

No comments:

Post a Comment