Sunday, February 14, 2016

Wandering boots tour: Day 15 missing boots in New Plymouth




By the numbers
12,796 steps
8.82 kms

The day had come that I was to leave for New Plymouth though first there was packing to do and food to find. Tiffany’s was actually closed though I knew of a place just across the road from where I was staying. It did not take long for me to get everything sorted and deciding it was checkout time so made my way to where the bus would stop at Tiffany’s before heading to New Plymouth. I was having a coffee and reading a book when a bus arrived. I looked at the time and it was really early. I wandered out to look at the location the bus was heading to and it did say New Plymouth. I was wondering if I should disturb the driver. He was very happy when I introduced myself and did notice there were very few people on the bus. He said that it was Sunday and people were not going very far. He was happy to see me as he did not need to chase me up and end up with a no show. The Naked Bus turned up and the driver asked if I was waiting for them. I said no and asked if they were acting as Mana Bus too since I seen the sign on the window. Could be why the lady missed her bus at Taupo as it was running as Naked Bus.

There were plenty of seats on the bus when we took off and I was thinking we would get to New Plymouth earlier that I had thought, but it would only be 10 mins early and the driver himself had been happy i had been early as he had been early arriving too. Some of the roads were very twisty and they might be good on a bike though I think they might have problems too with the narrow like roads. We did find two tunnels and I think some of the roads would be the ones that we will end up on the Taranaki tour for tomorrow. It was interesting as I seen a big brown sign pointing to a Hobbit film location that was in another direction 15kms away. I wonder if they would do this for many other film locations in New Zealand since The Hobbit came out. They do have some strange names for places down this way. A town near New Plymouth is called Bell Block not that I really know what it is about.

When I got off the bus the loo was a first visit and then went to find the hostel, which Google Maps had said was right behind the bus station. Turned out this was not actually true as the building behind was not there. I was beginning to get a little worried as I had n idea where I should be even though I knew I should be close. A nearby cafe had a banner up top saying the name of the hostel I was staying in and I was hoping I had fund where I had to go. I did not know where the entrance was and asked a lady from the cafe who showed me the most obvious sign that I would have tripped over from not seeing it. I was able to sort out my room though it was pretty hot in the city. The first thing I sorted out was my washing, which took a little while though I did end up betting a heritage trail information from the Info centre that is also part of the museum and library.

Once the washing had been done and dried, I dragged myself out for a walk and wanted to see the St Mary’s Cathedral, which was a church until 2010. It is the oldest stone Church in New Zealand. I was wearing trousers so it would make everything I was wearing a little bit hotter. I was actually wandering through the cemetery as it was interesting to see the people involved with the Taranaki wars. I wasn’t expecting to see a tree that was being supported by supports. I wanted to see a little more than just the Cathedral as it was getting later with a couple of hours before it went dark and I wanted to do some of the trail. I walked up the hill from the Cathedral as it was once the Pukaka Pa and then a redoubt for the British soldiers now known as the Marsland Hill. Two places that I was not looking for were up there too, which were the Observatory and the Volcanic activity monitor place for emergency services. On the hill the things I had been looking for were the New Zealand Wars memorial and the South African war memorial. There was a Carillion too that makes music. Taranaki also known as Mt Edmont was under cloud cover so couldn’t get a good view of it.

I wanted to head back for a shower and since I was at the top of the hill, I made my way down o Red Coat lane that had something to do with the soldiers going down to water their horses from the stream. Around the same area was also an old flour mill that was the first one in the area. The only things to survive were the mill wheels. I did make my way to the water front and never realised the train line train through this area as well. The wind wand weather wand thing that was on the beach side of New Plymouth was actually an art installation. I did see some interesting art works through the city and there seem to be some of the walks are really long though I do have two days of tours and one full free day to do anything I want. Hopefully the weather will cool down a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment