Thursday, February 11, 2016

Wandering boots tour Day 12 The wandering boots of Riff Raff




By the numbers
12.63kms
18,311 steps
I woke up early enough that I was refreshed and not feeling sore from my trip on the previous after my very long walk across the country. I took a wander where the sign said 9kms to 5 mile Bay and I turned around. That would be for next time and as I had seen scooter hire I will hire one to get me 17kms away to the Te Kooti memorial along with the dam in the other direction. A British girl looked at me confused when I was back in the room and she said morning and I said afternoon. She replied that it was twenty to nine. I replied I know though I didn’t explain that it was my sense of humour. I pottered around the hostel until it was time for me to go even though I knew I would be early for the bus.

The bus arrived on time from Hastings and it was the same driver as I had several days before. There was another driver that was waiting for a bus to turn up with passengers as he had a smaller mini van type thing who directed people to the areas they were supposed to be. Once at the bus and loading the girl before me couldn’t find her information on the driver’s manifest. Turns out she was after a different bus service called Mana bus, which is a big red bus. At least the driver wasn’t that worried and there were plenty of other people around. I tried to post a blog and the wifi on the bus actually blocked the page though it did the same with the ABC website too. The bus did stop at the same place as last time, Tokoroa for a meal break and I looted the information centre of interesting places to visit. I don’t know how much it costs, but a boat trip and a walk around White Island sounds like a great idea especially when it includes a gas mask. I do want to visit Whakatane sometime in the future and I think this is one place that will do it. It only really took another hour or so to Hamilton where I would spend the night before heading to my next crazy destination.

I found the place I was staying alright. I had to walk or climb up two flights of stairs to get to the reception. I was not too worried as it is a bed to sleep in and I have a room to myself that I can hide in though the internet signal doesn’t seem to go that far. I would say it is way better than the hostel that I usually stay at as it is a converted motel, but not enough toilets. Once I dropped off my bags I went wandering to have a look around and also planned to see a movie. I found a cinema, but i turned out to be one of those artsy ones, but looking at the map it showed there was another one right next to it in the shopping centre. I was also looking for the second hand bookshop called Browsers as I liked them last time I was there for New Zealand books. I was wanting to see what they had on AH Reed, but those books were too big for me to carry especially his autobiography and one about his walks when he was 80. There was even one about his walks through NSW in Australia. I think you can guess by now that I found some books. They were, 100 Historic places in New Zealand, The Suffrage trail and The New Zealand Wars and the Victorian interpretation of racial conflict. The lady at the counter told me the guy who wrote that book is an expert on the New Zealand Wars. She asked if I would like a loyalty card and I explained I was from Aussie and loved the shop so much that I came back after 3 years.

I had found that a train ran along Hamilton’s streets in the yesteryears right through the middle of Victoria Street. They now run under the street through a tunnel though I don’t know much about that at all. I was thinking of going to look, but did not end up doing so. When visiting Riff Raff from Time Warp movie as it has something to do with a kiwi being the writer, I found a piano that said anyone could play it as it is something that Hamilton does. The local cathedral is on the grounds on a Redoubt built during the New Zealand wars, but I do not think that there would be anything that remains of that. I wanted to visit the Rangariri boat that had been part of the NZ wars that was opposite the museum across the Waikato. It is under a shelter so I am pretty sure it is protected from the elements as it used to sit in the river overed in mud. It was getting pretty hot as the weather was like that again today. I thought it was supposed to be cooler, but I survived.

Once I had crossed back to the other side of the bridge I has a look at a Pa site or former Pa site that no longer exists in Hamilton that was around London street. I was wanting to see a movie as I had said before so I went looking for the cinema again. I found I had not walked far enough so followed the signs to the shopping centre where the cinema was. I was wanting to see Deadpool and found I was just in time to see the movie as it had only just started. Luckily there were plenty of ads and I chose a seat up the back. I never sat at the number I was supposed to though I was kinda close when I was in number 7 and sat in 18. I did enjoy the movie as it was a superhero one, my kinda thing and once it finished I was surprised it was still day light outside. I had to put my sunnies back on it was that bright.

I needed a shower as I was hot and sweaty after a long day. I wanted to borrow a towel though the girl could not understand a word I was saying and kept on pointing me to Hamilton gardens. Though I did say shower and towel, I had no idea what else I could have said. I gave up and used my travel towel as I bring it with me as a just in case a situation like this happens. I think the girl was either Chinese or Japanese so her English was not that good, but she was taking check in so I have no idea what is happening. So long as I have a bed to sleep in I am happy and will go with that. Tomorrow I leave for Te Kuiti and stay there for a full day. The hostel’s internet is faster than many of the other places I have been to so might use a little bit of that to upload some videos that I have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment