Monday, February 1, 2016

New Zealand Wandering Boots - Day 2 Smuggling Boots




By the numbers
Walked 12.07kms
17,519 steps

Today there was no real plan to go anywhere, but I knew there would be some pretty hot days coming up. We made the plan to visit Smugglers Cove at Whangarei Heads as I had not been there before. When we left Claude and I visited the information centre to see what we could find about where we were going. I came away with a few brochures for different areas that I am visiting as you do. Though has always been something I have always done even in hospitals.

We headed out to Urquhart Bay where I would be dropped off to do the Busby Head / Smugglers Cove walk. On the way there we had a quick stop at the walking trail for Mt. Manaia to let traffic past. It was one spot that I wanted to stop at since there was a memorial to the early settlers and seemed to be directed towards the settlers of Waipu with Norman Mcleod. I took pics of the memorial and off we went again. Once I got out of the car the plan was to walk to Smugglers Cove and head to Ocean Beach via the Peach Cove trail. It should only take a couple of hours. I had luckily purchased another bottle of water and had a pie for lunch that I was taking with me.

I headed for the first part of the walk to the gun placement and was surprised that this was actually being protected. I did find that it had been fired three times as a test during World War II and the munitions area I think was disguised as a farmhouse, which fooled the locals too. The communication building was known to be as several that had murals painted by the soldiers of the local area above the window sill. I actually went back inside to look after I read that. Luckily I had to dig my pie out from the depths of my bag to munch on as I walked towards Busby Head. The walk was steep and sort of tough, but I made it to the branch that would take me back to the carpark or Smugglers. I headed to Smugglers thinking I could wander up Busby head until I found it to be a thin path. The path to Smugglers Cove was in better condition and wide. I raised an eyebrow when a guy in thongs / jandals walked by to head up to Busby Head. The walk down to the beach was pretty easy and there were not that many people down there. I decided to keep walking and go through the gate that divided the cows with the beach. The cows had no problems with me or others walking by.

Once I had climbed a slight rise to a seat I had to sit for a couple of minutes and then went to the Te Whara Track that goes via Mt. Lion and Te Whara then onto Ocean Beach. The offering for the walk would be 3.5 hours and I was thinking about it and going we spoke about it. The walk is actually following an old Maori trail. I made it half way up several steps before reconsidering a very tough walking trail. I didn’t feel like going up huge mountains. I decided the easiest way was to walk via the road to where I was going to meet Claude. It was a narrow road, but at last I got to see some sights before I took the main road to the beach direction. Half way to the destination, Claude pulls up to pick me up as he was driving past. The road was flatter than going through the bush and takes less time. We drove to the end of the road to Ocean Beach, which has a surf club and a memorial to a mine sweeper that sunk due to a mine in New Zealand waters. I was glad I had made it to where I had as it was a great view.

The next place we ended up taking the road to was to Pataua South that is a town divided by a river so there is a Pataua North. Between them is a footbridge that people can walk across. They both have separate roads to head over to each part so you wouldn’t really want to live there and have to walk to either side. I did take a wander and from the beach watched a boat cross the bar. The local garbos were working and following the truck. They run after the truck throwing things in unlike our guys who just lift wheely bins. I could have followed my map that I left in the car and ended up at Frog Town Beach, but I think I had done enough walking for one day and in the hot sun too. Once we made our way back I found that I had gotten sunburnt. I think I have learnt a lesson in NZ. You can really get sunburnt.

No comments:

Post a Comment