Monday, February 22, 2016

Wandering Boots tour: Day 23 Easy boots in Wellington




By the numbers
20,163 steps
13.90kms
I did have good plans for the day and was going to head to the museum before I went to the Archives. I was hoping to be at the museum when it opened so that I could beat the rush first thing. I ended up going for a little wander to the Basin Reserve after getting something to eat. I wanted to see the National War Memorial as I tried last time and the road was blocked with major road works going on. I knew I might be a little late to be back at Te Papa museum, but I do go on these wanders. I did see something at the cricket ground at the Basin that attracted my attention as I did not know what it was. The Memorial like thing turned out to be the Wakefield Memorial. William Wakefield was one of the first settlers in Wellington arranging land with the Maori and having a house where the Beehive now located. He is in the Bolton Cemetery. The memorial has moved several times especially with the Reserve shrinking.

I went after this to the War memorial where I found a display given to Wellington or New Zealand by our last Prime Minister. It was something weird though I don’t know what the significance of the towers of the rocks would be. The war memorial you can see from between the tall buildings in Wellington and if you are looking. Behind it is a museum of sorts though I have not been inside. It did say that it was the Dominion museum so it could have been where the museum used to be in town. Outside is a memorial to the Maori who were taken from the Taranaki region. There looked to be a few people gathering outside waiting to get in as there was a WW1 exhibition going on. I was at the wrong museum though as I would have to walk to the other one by the harbour.

Along the way I found a memorial that I was wondering to who it was and found it to be about the Greeks in WWII calling the kiwis friends. I kept walking until I ended up just outside the museum where I was becoming worried by the amount of buses that was sitting outside. By this time it was nearly 1030am around half hour since the museum had opened. I walked in expecting the worse and the line was really long and heading past where it was and to the steps of the museum. I went to plan B where I would visit the archives first and find some records before heading back to the museum for another try. Outside I was watching some young guy climb the diving platform to take a selfie with his camera and as I turned around I heard a big splash. He had jumped into the water with his phone and the phone was down in the drink at the bottom of the harbour. I was joking to the guy next to me that we should place bets as the guys friends did not make a move to help him. He was concerned for his phone after the event and was lucky he did not have his wallet.

Once at the Archives I went looking for some files that I should have had a list of, but this time I did not. Some of what I was looking for I did find and got a copy of. I was listening to a lady who was wanting a certified record, but she was not happy that she could not access it as it was in the Christchurch archives and she wanted Wellington Archives to get it for her. The guy explained he could not do that as the records has to stay in the archive centre. She did walk off in a bad mood after being told she can ring them. I was finding a little bit and getting them sorted for the copies I wanted while watching some serious researchers handle big boxes of information. Information I had no idea what they were handling including some camera work being used too. I decided it was time to go and after a snack and a drink, I found I could not get into my locker at all. I was wondering how as I was getting freaked out a little and went to see the receptionist who got the locker open for me and I was really happy. The first try resulted in the wrong locker and the second one next to it was the right locker. I had put my bag in the locker next to the one marked reserved. The Reserved sign was gone and I was at the wrong locker though I did try the two beside each other and the password did not work.

Te Papa was back on my list and I wanted to visit before they shut for the day as I did not want to get caught out again. The line was big enough, but I was happy to find it was a fastish moving one. I was happy to be going to see a exhibition on Gallipoli where the models had been made by Weta studios. I went inside with a whole group of other people and inside it was still pretty busy as there were crowds everywhere you turned. Photos were allowed, but without the flash and your phones on silent. The statues were bigger than what you are shown and I had seen them being made through the Te Papa website, which was pretty cool. You could see everything from the sweat and tears running down their faces. The stories spoke about people like Malone who died at Gallipoli, but was a harsh taskmaster with the Wellington group though he was from Taranaki. The statues were actually of people who were in the war and they had their stories told too. The failure of getting several strategic areas were spoken about with the kiwis. It was good to see the New Zealand version though by the time I walked out there was only 15mins before the museum closed.

By the time I walked out it was still pretty bright and I wanted fish and chips as I decided to walk up to the monastery type church on the hill. It was a good walk though I ended up at around Oriental Bay. People were everywhere enjoying the sun and one Cafe I stuck my nose in said they were closed though I swear the lady spoke several languages before English. Up market fish and chips it was with a great view of the harbour and people walking by. I was happy though I think they wanted the single people out of sight at the back of the building.  Still it was good to have something good to eat when I did not really have lunch at all other than a brownie.  I still have one more day to get things done as I have an asylum tour and have to pack my bag that I have no idea what it weighs before heading home back to the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment