Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Wandering boots tour: Day 18 These boots were gone with the wind




By the numbers
19364 steps
13.34kms
The day in New Plymouth was not that great looking at all and I had been hoping to do some walking today though a visit to the museum was on the plan too. I had gotten up early enough where I would be back from my 10km walk y just after 10 am in the morning. I needed coffee and I needed a pie so I found a coffee shop in my general direction, but they had no pies at that time. I returned for a coffee after visiting the bakery across the road. I was going to visit the general area around where the Taranaki Port is located and walk back. Simple I thought it would be.

As soon as I began walking I decided to put my wet weather gear on as I did not want a repeat of what happened in Waitangi where everything was wet. I was following the Ocean walk and the rain was mostly going than coming down so I was in some way lucky. I was wondering what I would find on the walk. The first thing I came across was a drinking fountain from 1907 that had been installed for the train passengers. By the 2000s the fountain had to be restored, which included the family who had donated it. I wandered past a pool and onto the area where the wharf businesses were like deep sea fishing and seal watching trips. I doubt anyone would be game to try something like that.

I found the nodding nob or whatever they call the oil wells that was on the foreshore. The oil well called Moturoa No 4 oil well dedicated to the pioneers in the area to getting the oil. I had gone back after seeing this one on my first day trip with Tom who took me for a drive showing off the local businesses. On a nearby beach there was a monument to two kayakers from Australia who padded here around 5 or 6 years ago. Thinking I couldn’t walk any further I turned around to head up the hill and found a small cemetery where a couple of early pioneers for the area were located. Deciding to wander past the freezing works I found a settlers memorial that gave information about different parts to local settlement and spoke about a grave of a local friendly chief who was nearby. I was looking across the road, but his grave was actually several metres away. He had died in 1878 and buried in that location in what looked to be a modern grave.

At this tie I could tell the weather was changing a bit and the wind was getting stronger so I decided it was best to go back by following the main road. I only really knew this as I had seen the bus timetable along the way back. I found a mission church with a memorial that was to do with the local settlers.. I had taken my hat off at this time or else it would have vanished in the wind. I did meet two postie trike type bikes that were delivering and they both had trailors though I missed taking a decent picture. They were pretty cool. By this time it felt like the wind was really strong as I made it back to the hostel. I wanted to sit and read for 10 or so mins before moving on. I was listening to conversations with the staff and customers who wanted to climb the hill, which would have been bad news for them. I had listened to Tom who said he gave the same advice and one guy tried and came back beaten to the cafe an hour later soaked and nearly being blown off the mountain.  Scary when people want to do that.

The rest of the day was spent in the museum and the library though I was using the library to stay dry as they had a walk way to the museum. I found the research library, but never stopped to look in there. I did split the museum visit as I stopped for lunch and then I was off again. I was happy to be inside especially watching the surf pick up from outside and the trees sway. The museum took you though the settlement, Taranaki wars and many parts of life in the area. I found it to be interesting and it filled in the time too. It was well worth visiting the museum of Puke Ariki in New Plymouth. It is a well sorted out museum and everything is easy to follow especially when it includes gas and oil exploration including Muldoon’s mob and a protest where the Maui facilities had an unopening ceremony though I think others could tell you more about this.

 This was my last day in New Plymouth before I wander off to Whanganui tomorrow for the nearing of the finish of my trip though there is still some life in the journey so far. Looking at my boots I have found that the bottoms of one is partially worn out nearly. They are well worn in. They are still comfy and have heaps of life in them still. I will plan to come back here to New Plymouth as it is an interesting place and I have left t open to explore further.

No comments:

Post a Comment