Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Wandering Boots Day 10 floating historic boots





By the numbers
11.43 kms
16,586 steps

I was booked on the Ernest Kemp this morning and I rolled out of the room to find that it was miserable looking weather and was a light drizzle. I headed to the one place that would be cheery in the morning and that was Maccas.  I tried the meal order thing where you select everything yu want and then pay. When I had my receipt, I waited for my meal to be made up, which it was done. I was impressed that the whole episode was very easy. The only problem I had was that the tray accidentally went into the bin too as it slipped out of my hand.


Slowly I made my way down to where the boat was as it would be a 2 hour trip as I soon found out. I wanted to get out of the rain when it did come harder, but it seemed having my brolly up was a waste of time as it stopped raining. I found the Superloo to cost 50 cents though when I used them they were clean. They included showers and a changing room too. I ended up getting 10% off the boat, which turned out to be a great deal. The tour was full and I was happy to sit outside until I was joined by another couple who turned out to be a local bus driver for Surfside. I laughed at him when he asked if there was improvement needed. He and his daughter had been around New Zealand and showing me pictures on his phone that looked really good. The tour took us to some of the exclusive suburbs like Acacia Bay for the trees and out to the rock carvings. These were only around 30 years old and not ancient carvings as people tend to think. There were more than one carving as only the main face one is usually shown. On the way back we went along the shore around three mile Bay to Two Mile and then to the mouth of the Waikato River that is the longest river in New Zealand. The clouds hadn’t cleared up, but were now not threatening rain at all. I was happy for a short tour of the lake.


A quick lunch afterwards had me head to the museum as I thought it would be best to have an easy day. I thought it would be better if I got up early in the morning to walk to Huka falls since t could be a hot sunny day. The Taupo museum was small, but it still had a little bit of information about the Armed Constabulary in the beginnings of Taupo. The other parts talked about the fishing on the lake with the trout, the boats that worked the waters and the logging along with the logging of native forests in New Zealand. I was actually surprised by how small the museum was, but it had a bit of information. I knew there was a Redoubt in the area that was a defensive position by the British soldiers and after a little bit of looking I found the Tapuaeharuru Redoubt just beside the Taupo police station. The earthworks can still be seen along with a building that I am not sure what it was for. The kindy is also the old court house so that was interesting as the Constabulary could read books as it had multiple uses.

 

The other oddity in the area that I seemed to be following were the paper clips with information. The Redoubt had been listed as a historic site, but I found another one that I had missed being a historic pioneer cemetery. I wandered to where it was and the cemetery was more a tourist attraction that was in the idle of a bit of land behind St. Johns ambulance station. There were around six graves and they were surrounded by a white picket fence. I went looking at several other paper clips and decided to turn around and headed back to the hostel as I needed to pt the washing on and as I came back a group came in from Tangariro crossing bus were all getting off. I still had time to get everything done before heading out again.

 

 I headed out for some dinner and by this time the sun had come out. I was lucky to be wearing a hat, but the sun was bright in the afternoon / evening light. One of the paperclips did give me a town that had been attacked by Te Kooti in 1869. The town was Opepe near Taupo though I do not know where it was exactly. I know there is a memorial, but that is about all I know. I found the old bus station for Intercity that no longer exists as the bus’ all stop on the main road now. The sun was out shining and I did not want to head anywhere near the water as I wanted to head back to the hostel before things happened or became too late. It is interesting to watch the sun go down from the lounge in the hostel as the sky looks good without cloud cover. I still have one morefull day in Taupo and I will use some of that to walk to Huka falls and I did find another cemetery on the map. I made sure I found myself a big water bottle in case the weather became very hot and I ran out of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment