Friday, February 5, 2016

Wandering boots tour Day 7 Treaty Boots


By the numbers
14.15kms
20,387 steps

Today I was going out to the Treaty grounds to see what was happening at the Waitangi events. I was hoping not to get the same reception as the day before with the rain as my stuff was still wet from the day before. I did get up earlier than my alarm and that was what I wanted as it would give me time to get out to the grounds and spend some time out there to see the events of the day. I knew what was happening, but I really wanted to see the Waka events. They had the roads blocked off to Waitangi for traffic and just before the bridge there was a Waka event going on that I stopped at to watch for a while. People were everywhere from tourists to Maori were all watching. I had come for the Ngātokimatawhaorua as I wanted to see it on the water instead of being under cover nearly every time I went. This was my first Waitangi Day on the Waitangi grounds.



I did watch the waka for some time and they did take the big Waka out for a run, which I was happy to see. It was impressive on the water even if they were being followed by the Coastguard. I did walk closer once they went back to the shore and there was a haka of sorts with the guys who had been on the boat and it was impressive. They went for at least 10 to 15 mins. I did notice some gangs that are native to New Zealand like the Head Hunters and the Mongrel Mob. I was able to walk across the bridge to Waitangi with no traffic other than people wandering around. It was pretty different to do when every other time the bridge is open to traffic. The fairground market stalls were not really that exciting though I had gotten there before it had become really busy. There was quite a bit there that was directed to help people like with networking and get employment. I was not familiar with any of these. Since my interest in the strange food waned as I did not want to buy $15 worth of scallops as it was only myself I wandered to the upper treaty grounds where I wanted to catch the next part of my list.

The next tick on my list was the Navy band and I was hoping it would be good. They were explaining why the Navy was at the grounds as they were allowed to have ceremonies there due to something due to sorting out the treaty grounds flag and an Act of parliament. They explained they were going to do a beat retreat, which was really the changing of the guard for when they needed to put on a watch at night. I thought it would be pretty cool and the top dog in the navy was there too watching the naval officers in formation. The band did play once everyone had marched off the grounds as it was the New Zealand band as in the 1960s or there abouts the British version had gone home. We clapped the New Zealand band as being old it was everyones band. The Maori culture group, who were used for visiting dignatories and other big wigs in politics came next and it was good to see something other than the Haka being displayed. They were singing and using the pois, which was great to see. Just as they finished the navy marched back in for the 21 gun salute. I thought at first it was these guys, but it was actually the ships that were in the bay that fired though it was impressive with the smoke.



I could have wandered off to get something to eat, but I was hearing reports of the protesters were coming to the Marae near the treaty house. I was wondering if I would get caught in it and I had seen earlier that they had closed the doors to the treaty house due to the wanderers. I asked an officer who called the protest by the right name of Hikoi. He explained you would not be trampled as people will let you know if you were in the way. Nothing like the British with their soccor matches at all. I felt better, but wasn’t really sure where they would come out, but I could hear them. Soon they came walking down the side of the treaty house singing and chanting. It was impressive to watch and I stayed next to the trees watching. I could not understand what anyone was saying as all they were doing was talking in Maori or Te Reo. I wandered off before they really broke up as I wanted to have a Hungi meal that had been on my mind. It was beautiful as it was really tender.

After lunch I decided to head back to Paihia though I wondered if I could get a ferry as I wanted to visit Russel too. The navy had one of their boats there so I decided it would be better to walk back. Stopping at the Te Tiriti O Waitangi Marae just across on the Paihia side of the bridge. I was thinking of wandering through the doors to the Ko Tenei Whare that someone was allowing people to enter. Pretty soon a lady came running up to kick people out telling them they could not be there as it was to do with their ancestors and to delete the photos that had been taken inside. I thought it as fair enough and some guy say next to me, who was no older than me and asked where I was from. I told him my usual answer and he asked what my breeding was and I told him I was Pakeha, but somewhere there was Maori blood, but I had not asked. He did say that I should ask and I did not say it had anything to do with direct lines as I knew there were some in branches. I thought that was the strangest of all questions I had ever been asked. I was getting ready to walk off anyway and he mentioned that I looked like I was in a hurry. I said I wanted to go to Russel if I had time.

Making it back into the township of Paihia I was lucky to get a boat into Russel as I thought I would have missed it. It was standing room only as no one wanted to get wet. Once we had crossed on the Happy Ferry I spent an hour wandering through Russell as there were several things I wanted to look at and one of them was the Church well the first church to be built as I had never taken a video especially showing off the musket holes. I only really stayed there for an hour and headed back on the next ferry that got me worried when it headed back to Waitangi. I realised t would visit Paihia too. The kids at Waitangi were not worried at all while they were on the dock jumping off into the water all around the ferry. The lady driving had to let them know that she was backing out.

Once we had the short cruise to Paihia, I was wandering to my room where I needed to throw my wet clothes in the dryer and happy that what I was wearing was very dry as it only spat a few times during the day. I wanted dry clothes as I will be heading to Warkworth tomorrow. I am still the only guy in my room with two ladies who seem interesting. One did a course in psychology, but has lived in Paihia for the last couple of months. I don’t want to go anywhere else as my feet do not want me to go anywhere else other than listen to the entertainment tonight. I do find it funny how people think the protest here will turn violent, but people seem happy that its not at all. I have a feeling if anyone tried something then the others would stand in and sort the troublemakers out. It has been well worth the trip out here just for Waitangi Day. The girl I was speaking to went to the Dawn service and said it was a little boring. Its why I didn’t go as I did not have a vehicle and wont wander around in the dark with a camera.

I have some videos, but the internet here does tend to be slow as a wet week at times so I might not get them on until I get onto the bus or into Warkworth. I think they are really good even though I got everyone from the back. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment