Thursday, February 18, 2016

Wandering Boots tour: Day 19 missing boots to Wanganui




 By the numbers
28,404 steps
19.59kms
I nearly actually missed the bus this morning even though I was waiting at the stop right on time and was early. The reason for nearly missing the bus was it was not an Inter city bus to turn up as I looked the front said Charter. Luckily I asked the driver if he as Intercity and he said yes. I was very lucky as it was 5 mins before we left and I had been getting worried about the bus not arriving yet. I would have ignored it too if not for that niggle and my name was at the top of the list too. The day was actually quite a bit nicer than the day before though the ocean was still a touch rough.

The bus was an older bus and one that includes all the creaks and rattle from what older buses are known for. This one was no exception as it was very annoying as I could hear a creak from the front and it would not go away for the entire time I was on it. I was happy to have a bus with no internet as it never worried me in the slightest. There were towns that we passed through that would be interesting to stop at, but not stop for very long though if I was behind the wheel it might take me most of the day. I do however love the signs as you are leaving the Taranaki area as they don’t want you to leave and I have seen one say ‘woo hoo’ when you return. The bus didn’t really take that long to get into the city of Wanganui though the weather did look threatening a little way off.

I waited for people to clear the loo before I had to use it and then I had my piece before waddling off to the hostel. I could remember where it was, but I still look the wrong turn when I got there. I tuned right instead of left and luckily I looked at my map realising my error. The bag was getting heavy on my back though I think its the way I pack things, but we shall see how much crap I have ended up with. I was very lucky to check in early as it was just after 11am. I got everything sorted and wanted to walk to Virginia Lake Reserve that I had seen on the bus as we were coming into town. Luckily I had been given a map so that I could explore the area. I had a quick snap from where the library is along with the museum before heading along Victoria to the main road tht heads to New Plymouth. I found the lake alright and realised it would take longer to walk around it so I wandered to both sides finding a Bandstand dedicated to King George and hanging with the ducks and Geese. Some thought I had food, but I did not. I looked at the heritage trail, realising it was 68 kms and only for cars. There was no way I could walk that in a day.

By the time I walked back into the city, I found that school had been let out so there were kids everywhere and I was looking for the best way back to the hostel even though I was following the Somme, which is the street I am on. I needed a rest for a little while under cover before it would be time to take a walk looking for food again. I wanted to have a bite before it got dark or else I would be caught in the dark. I walked to the main part of the town where the information centre is as I wanted to see if the museum had their boat tours during the week. I found it was on the weekend, but Thursday too and I had missed out on all that as I wanted to see something else. One of the monuments I found happen to read like an essay as there was writing everywhere on it including about Te Kooti. I did see something about a tram too so it will be something to look up tomorrow though I think I can sleep in although I now have the top bunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment