Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Wandering boots Bonus Blog – watching tourists





It is always interesting listening to tourists who are staying at hostels as to what they are doing. The plans some make are a little funny especially when they have to be at the airport by a certain date and are trying to figure out how they will get to that airport via som other locations like Christchurch to Auckland airport.

I personally think Taupo is a bit far away to visit places like Waitomo caves or National Park, but they are doing that when you would think they would stay a little closer. They seem to be British / irish type tourists who only have a short amount of time here or are staying for several months. A few were saying they will only get here once or twice in their lives while I am amused that I have gotten to New Zealand nearly every year.

You seem to learn new things when listening to other people though it is usually places that you have been to. When they are talking to family about how hard the terrain is over here it is like that was something they had not expected. I don’t always expect such rough terrain at times, but I tend to know what the country can be like. There are times when New Zealand can be unforgiving especially when you are not aware. This year since my later than usual trip i have been finding out exactly what the weather has been like and you never know being at National Park at this time of year would likely be more promising than the last time I was here. I have not actually seen the mountains in the distance due to the cloud cover that is hanging around.

I always book everything before hand as I know that accommodation might be a bit iffy in certain places especially when other events are on. I am always fascinated to hear other peoples experiences by not booking anything at all and seeing if they can find a place to stay in the next town. I wonder how many things people miss out on seeing if they do not know about the little things. I agreed with a lady who thought Wellington was a small town you see once, but might not be aware of what else there is. It could be the History buff in me that follows his nose to locations that are interesting when others head for the touristy places like Queenstown or Rotorua.

There is one tip that all tourists and backpackers who are catching the bus to other destinations. Make sure you are catching the correct bus as you could be getting the wrong bus like today someone waiting at Intercity bus was actually after the Mana bus in Taupo. Hopefully the girl did not miss her bus, but that is kinda scary when you think about it. I do not know how often something like that would happen.

New Zealand says they are moving away from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings tourism stuff, but there are heaps of people who come just for that and want to walk on Mount Doom where the ring was thrown into the fires to be destroyed. I am always happy to see that though people still seem to want to see the movies while in New Zealand and last night I ended up watching some of the first one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment