Friday, February 5, 2016

Wandering boots tour Day 6 wet Waitangi boots



By the numbers
11.17kms
16,194 steps
2 wet boots
In Whangarei the weather was coming over as overcast and then rainy during the morning. I wasn’t sure if the weather report for Paihia would be correct or not, but we were going to see what happens. Before I left for the bus we got a visit from Brian another cousin, which was good though I was on the way out. On the way to the bus, Claude stopped at a shop in town so we could visit a lady that mum knew, an old family friend who I had not seen in a very long time. We had a quick chat before we had to go yet again, but I think I made her day. While Claude went to find a carpark I went for a look through Reyburn House as its an art gallery. There was a new book on the people of the Hokianga. The second part to the book I already have of ‘Memories of the Hokianga’. I didn’t buy this one as it as $70, but I did not really have the room. Being wet I did not want to get the book wet if my bags springs a leak.

The bus now arrives at the new information centre called The Hub at the town basin. I started to wait inside after Claude had dropped me off until I started worrying that the driver wont come in or that I would have missed seeing the bus. I became more worried once the arrival time passed and I had seen a big black bus with the silver fern go past. I asked the guys at the counter who said that the bus leaves from out the front and that it was late. I relaxed then as the niggles in the back of my head had been telling me that I had missed it. I think I would have been bouncing off the walls before too long, but it was way too warm to be waiting inside. The bus came and I was happy though well over half hour late. One of the places that we got to go through was Hikorangi and I wanted to just be dropped off there and look around. I was able to take some quick pics and upload them via the free wifi. The funny thing about the bus was that it may have free wifi, but nowhere to charge the phone. I know the Greyhound from Canberra to Sydney had a charging station. I think the bus either has to have one or the other. The weather became steadily worse the further north we went. The traffic was slow moving and that included the logging trucks going the other way. Once we got to Paihia I was happy to get off especially when the rain had stopped for a little while.


I thought I should cover up my bag in the wet gear after using the loo and while sorting out my bag the cleaners arrived. One even helped me find one of the shoulder straps as I was in the way. As I crossed the road my poor attempt at putting a wet weather coat over my main bag showed as it blew off. It was still attached, but just limply hanging doing nothing but swinging in the breeze. Luckily I was not staying very far at all as I was staying in a hostel that was different from where I was usually staying, but on the same street. I arrived and was able to check in, which was good as I apparently had the premium hostel room that included a towel. I thought this was cool even though I had to walk up two flights of stairs to get to the room. I found out of four beds, I was the only guy out of the three people in the room. I claimed my bed by putting stuff on it so that it was all good and I was going to wander towards Waitangi to see the Navy band play.

I had to stop for a bite to eat and then I was off. I was wrapped up in wet weather gear except for wet pants, but my shorts did end up being wet. The rain was incessant drizzle that would become annoying. I stopped at the stone church also known as St. Paul’s Anglican as it was open for the fist time I had ever been to Paihia so I wandered in. It was wonderful even though I took some pictures. I had my small waterproof camera on me as I didn’t want the bigger one to get wet. I will be back to take better pictures of the windows. I like the inside of the church in Russell as it looks better. After that I wandered into town thinking I would have heaps of time before the Navy band. I found when I looked at a timetable that I only really had half hour so I powered onto Waitangi in the constant drizzle that became harder at times. I did see the camp grounds were full of people, but no one was out and about as it was raining. There were quite a few cop cars driving around though, way more than I had seen when I came to NZ. There was no trouble that I could see at all. I wanted to see the band and soon came to the grounds that I realised had a gate now that was closed. A lady who was wandering around told me they had cancelled the band due to the wet weather and I could go check the museum out. Knowing it wasn’t going to open until Sunday I had a look and found it was $25 to enter though it wasn’t worth being there for just an hour or so. They informed me that tomorrow the grounds were free entry for all. Deciding I could pull a swifty by entering the grounds from other areas, I soon found the grounds had been fenced off all the way to the waters edge. Once before around 4 years ago I could enter the grounds from other was, but now that had been denied. I wandered off back to Paihia as it would start getting late if I waited around for longer and I could see they were setting things up for the next day. The police were all hiding in the carpark for the Waitangi bowls club. I nearly asked them if they were playing bowls. If they are there tomorrow I will ask. They looked wet and miserable with the weather too.

The slog back to Paihia meant that I could feel that my socks were now wet and the wind was trying to blow my brolly inside out. I could see the Cantabury not very far off, but I didn’t have access to my decent camera as it was being protected from the wet weather. Some of the puddles on the footpath were actually deep and I had to walk on the grass so I didn’t have leaky boots. Once around the corner in Paihia there was a beach where it claimed in 1833 the first recorded cricket match was played between kids. So many things happened in this area that I would not be surprised if there was a shrunken head somewhere that would be shown off. While thinking about getting something to eat before I headed back to the hostel, I went looking at the shops and found there is a second hand book sale on tomorrow since it is the first weekend of the month. Another book store had a book with pictures of the gum diggers so I will be back to have a look at that if it is open. Second hand book store that is. Paihia does have its own little free library too down by the waters edge. One tip is to make sure you have solid ground as the ground can become slippery especially if there is mosaic type stuff in wet weather. I eventually had something to eat before I went to seek a shower and dry clothes as it was still raining. As I write this it is now dark and wet. Those puddles will too be dark, wet and mysterious.

No comments:

Post a Comment