Sunday, February 21, 2016

Wandering boots tour: Day 22 Bike boots exploring Wellington




By the numbers
25,864 steps
17.91kms on foot
20 kms on bike

I was planning on getting some exercise while in Wellington that was nothing at all to do with walking. I had booked a bike that I would hire to go out to see the wreck out at Eastbourne. I was hoping the guy would turn up and I had gotten up early enough so that I could get some decent water, well a 1.5 litre bottle from the supermarket along with lunch as I know what happens when I do not take enough supplies like that with me. I found the sticker on the apple could be categorised by typing in the little number at self service. Then was the time to wait for the bus especially since I had thought a very early one would be there, but I had read the wrong day.

The bus did arrive at the right time and I was offered an all day pass instead of paying each time I got on. I took the pass even though it would not get me on the train. I did get some sights of the towns we went through including the one other that I was wanting to stop at and that was Petone. I couldn’t see much of interest in Eastbourne at all to be honest. I watched while everyone got off the bus as I was going to the terminus. The very end of the line seen me having to get off the bus as the driver pulled into the bus station. I scared the crap out of him as he had forgotten I was there and I think he knew exactly where I was wanting to go. Several hundred metres away there was a trail and the trail started with a bike hire shed that had yet to open up for the day. There were the early morning cyclists hanging around including one eating a banana while riding. I don’t think they would be heading down the track. Nearby was the memorial for the ferry, Wahine that sank. Later I would find they have the sail mast for the ship as a monument nearby.

Once the bike shed opened I had the booking for the bike that I wanted for 2 hours as I was going to head to the boat wreck and then head back. I changed my mind since it was $30 for 2 hours and $40 for 4 hours. That way I could head up to Pencarrow Lighthouse for a look on the way back without getting into trouble hopefully. I got the bike and the helmet for my journey that I knew would take me longer if on foot especially when I seen the treck to the lighthouse was 4 hours and I would hate to think what would happen if I went out to the SS Paiaka, which is near Lake Kohangatera. A lake with a very big name. Off I went one a gravel type road and I was enjoying myself with music and my rolled up bucket hat as I had a brim, but the sides were up. I found one lighthouse down on the ground level of the track, but this was a more modern design with solar panels, but was interesting. Above me the other lighthouse was so I headed o my final destination. I had passed walkers who were around and happy to share the path until I came to a surprise around a corner with a vehicle and I wondered how that got in. It would have had to have been from the other end as the end I came in they could not get in.

Near the boat I found an entry to Pencarrow lighthouse so I had a look at it as I would check it out when I come back. I found it was gated so I would have to lift the bike over. There was a section that a sign was saying that had been off limits, which was no where near where I would be. While I was looking at this gate my ipod somehow crewed up and wanted voice commands and I asked myself how the F* I hit that. The voice responded voice command unrecognisable. I rode to the SS Paiaka and found it had sunk around 1908 and was dragged further up the shore line in the 1980s for people to look at. It was dedicated to those who had lost their lives on such vessels. I was now on private land, but no one stopped me even though public were urged to stay on the track. I looked around the vessel and luckily I was wearing a helmet as I banged my head on it when having a look. I turned around and took the path to the lighthouse.

I was hoping that I could return using the lighthouse path, but I found it might not be a good idea as it looked narrow and for foot only. I was happy the weather was not as hot as it had been when I was further up the north island as I would have boiled by now. I enjoyed the walk up the hill where there was information about the lighthouse and even had a grave of someone unknown. I found that Pencarrow lighthouse had the first woman keeper after her husband died and was the first permanent building of the sort in NZ that shone its light in the 1850s. Walking up the hill I was attacked by a cicada and I wondered where it went as the noise was very loud. It sat on my bag as a freeloader. It did fly off. I was amazed to be up on the hill looking at the view and after all this time my camera wanted new batteries. First time since I been in NZ that my big camera needed to be changed. I ate my lunch and then headed down the hill as time was running away from me as I only really had an hour to be back.

The ride back was actually with the wind and I was enjoying the pace I had picked up though I was happy not to be walking as it would have been all day and I would have gotten home later than late, but at least the bus stop would be the first one. I returned safely to find that I had half hour to go of my hire, but I returned the bike and wandered off. There was a flock of birds with nobby things running around on the road not watching out for cars. The birds had no idea what they were doing. I had half hour before the next bus so I started walking into Eastbourne. There was not much to actually see and I waited for the bus when the time was up so that I could head into Petone. I had to try to remember where I needed to get off as I found places like Seaview not to be of interest.

I jumped off at a random stop in Petone and found the old police station that had been restored. Turns out that Jackson Street had a historical thing on recently and many of the buildings like the old bank had information about them including the old press building for the media. On my wander I found a water station where people were filling bottles of water that claimed to be clean from a artisan basin type place. It was interesting just watching people fill giant jugs and they were allowed to do so. I was wanting t visit the grave of Te Puni at the Te Puni Urupa otherwise known as a Maori cemetery. The place was in an industrial part of town, but Te Puni was one of the Maori who had welcomed the New Zealand Company in Wellington when they arrived and was an ally. He died in 1870 and the government erected the memorial for him. It was impressive and good that I had found this in a book I was reading. A little bit of early NZ history that I never knew about. Wanting to know what was at the other end of the street I found the water and nearby the wharf for the local ferry though none were running.

I had to wait over a half hour before the next bus to take me to the city so I wandered to the train station where they had a flag pole that was dedicated to Australian soldiers who had helped New Zealand during the Second World War. New Zealand really has something for flag poles. When the bus did come it was standing room only and I jumped off where the Parliament houses are as I just didn’t want to stay on the bus. By this time it was around 6pm and I was looking for food before returning to the hostel for a shower. I did see a jewel or glass that had been fashioned into a character in Frozen, but for nearly a grand I walked away fast. Sitting down reenergised me immensely though I needed a good rest though. I think I deserve it, but I was happy to be able to fit everything in that I wanted to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment