Monday, October 22, 2012

Euro tour day 7



Euro tour day 7

Today was the day that I would visit the archives at woodhorn. I found after I left that it was going to be a wet sort of day and it was my first wet day since i had arrived in the country. The bus was not too bad although it got me lost as it went through small towns. I wasn’t sure if I had gotten off at the right place at all orther than it was the town I was after. I took a walk in one direction and found that I had gone the wrong way and just kept on walking. Luckily I found a road that took me back to where I should be going. I soon came upon a sign that told me I was on the right track. I followed the road to a sign that said Woodhorn and archives etc. I didn’t know of any other path to take so I walked on the side of the road that was long and ended up at the coal colliery that I never knew was there.  It was an old disused one as it had closed in the 1980s and is now a museum. I was wondering at the time about the archives if they were really about the coal mines.

After wandering around looking at the displays and the buildings I visited the archives wondering  I actually had the right place and if not I would like to know where to find them. Turns out i had the right place and they were explained to me and I was then looking up the registrations and fining some of what i was looking for. I did ask about the military service records and ws told all the ones that survived were now on ancestry and if you cant find them then they were the ones that were destroyed by fire.

I got lost again after leaving although ast least I left before dark or else I would have ended up anywhere. I was looking for the main bus station and not the smaller stops. I found one and decided I would stay as it was safe. After getting back I was after my washing to be done and was told the hostel had no more tokens and i would have to wait. I came back later only to be told by someone else not until morning. I was not too happy about that although at least it will get done in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment