Monday, October 22, 2012

Euro tour day 15



Euro tour day 15

Today I was leaving nice old Dover for the city of London by bus. The owner of the hostel was home from the hospital and did apologise while I was eating breakfast. I left soon afterwards for the bus stop although I did see something funny. Some kids at a private school seem to have some sort of enterprise going on with selling drinks to their class mates. I don’t know if they make any money though. The ride through the town and onwards to London was pretty foggy all the way. The white cliffs of Dover were grey and fogbound. So I was lucky to get a nice day when I did. The bus arrived at the station in Victoria on thee 11/11/11 of 11.11am. The driver pointed this out and that we were at least 10 minutes early.

I checked in when I got to London and since my room couldn’t be occupied until two oclock i then went for a train ride. First I had lunch at an Irish pub of pork belly although I hope that was not what it really was. It went down regardless and I never had any problems. First I went to cannon street and went to have a look at the lode stone or London stone which has lots of mystery about it including one that said, King Arthur’s sword was drawn from it. The stone was at Cannon Street station although it was moved and was damaged in the blitz. I walked to st Paul’s cathedral where I seen the occupy London crowd although I was wondering how they pitched tents up on concrete and stone. The next trip was to Westminster to look at 10 Downing street and I could not believe the amount of police that were around. I will look at the news to find out why. They were directing people away from that side of the street. 

I did have a small problem with my Oyster card although I wondered how much money I had used. Seems I had emptied the card and had to refill it. I could only use my credit card although since it has a chip there is no problem with me using it. Seems using my direct debit card raises alarm bell especially when it does not have a chip. Maybe my next one will have something new.

Going towards the O2 stadium was chaotic especially when you have crowds from the Northern line heading towards either London Bridge station or Jubilee. It wasn’t that great an idea at 5pm, but interesting and not much fun. I just stood to the side of the door and looked outside. The wrestling was alright although I was literally at the top of the stadium and had no idea who was what as the Americans usually have a better system like their big screen. What I should have done was get a ticket for closer to the ring. I left half way through the last match as I did not know what the extremely large crowd would be like heading toward the underground and the car park. If you look at the map of the underground and find North Greenwich then you would know there is only one underground line servicing this area and my guess it would be a long trip back waiting for a less full carriage or trying to move towards one in the crush.

No comments:

Post a Comment