Monday, October 22, 2012

Euro tour day 21 Berlin and Tanz play



Euro tour day 21

I was woken up around 5.30 am with my lovely room mate coming in from partying all night. It was a good thing as he was like a freight train, so I got up and went down stairs using my key of absolute power that is the lift key. I used the internet while waiting for the door to open for breakfast. It was not too long anyway. While I was eating I looked outside and it was still dark at 7am so I knew I might have to wait a little bit before it gets light enough to see. I jumped on the first bus that I seen and headed out to Checkpoint Charlie. This is the most famous points between the East and West Germany and Berlin.

I jumped off the bus and found out how cold it actually was. I was freezing and it was near 830 in the morning. I happily took pictures of Checkpoint Charlie and crossed the road to look at the the fence line that talked about the wall. I wandered off into the East side and noticed how some buildings you could not really see at all. There was virtually no one around at this time which was good for me as no one would get in my way. I wandered back to where the wall was and found the museum of terror where it seemed to open early. Unfortunately a lady came running out to tell me and a couple others that it was not open yet and that someone had for gotten to lock the door on their way in.

I told the lady that I will be back later and then walked off to see something else I was looking for and that was Hitler’s bunker or the marker to say where it was. There was not much to see at all and would not have known it was there if it had not been signposted. I looked around and then walked back to the topographie of Terror where the remains of the Berlin Wall actually still stands although this is only a fraction of what is left. There are still remnants and markers telling people where it is and one spot was near the Brandenburg gate and another was Potsdam i think its called. I will find where checkpoint Bravo is some time later.

I took a wander following my guide book again to see what i could find. I was looking for the bunker where Hitler shot himself towards the end of the war. A lady ws there giving a talk to a couple and was saying that she believes the story about the man shooting himself even though they do not have any real proof. There were a series of bunkers and how a building is mainly on top and all that tells you is a board that gives you the information about when the Soviets had found it. They had blown it up as well and while the wall was being built tunnels were found near the Brandenburg gate.

After the little non wander I went back and waited the twenty minutes for the museum to open up. It was interesting looking at how Hitler oppressed his people  although it could have sounded communist, but was not. He had a volk working society where those who did not work were basically eliminated. It did not matter who you were if you were some burden then you could have been killed, imprisoned or sterilised. Political opponents went into ‘safe havens’. If you did anything with a prisoner you would be humiliated in front of the towns people. I did not actually know there was more to the story than just that of the WWII starting and ending. This did fill in the gaps as to why people did what they did. At one point the Volkism was actually called a Hitler cult. He did the same thing at home where ever he had went and there were plenty of picture references. The area where the museum now sits was part of the Nazi SS building I think it was. The Berlin wall went right past it. The museum asked for that part of the wall to be left to show where it ran to. The was just a small slice of what once was a complex and part of what would have been the kill zone.

I went for lunch up at Checkpoint Charlie as I thought I should eat something and instead of going for maccas I sent for something different. A German eatery where you could pick what you wanted and pay for. A nice jam donut thing and a couple of other things and the cashier thought I was German until I spoke and then he said sorry. I thought it was cool. I went into the checkpoint Charlie museum and thought it was better if I visit the next day and I had been asked by two Gypsys if I spoke English. One I said yes before realising what happened and the other time was inside the museum shop. I would have complained, but the place had something to do with human rights organisation and I don’t think they would have liked me saying something. I found something down the road and it was the Stasi museum about the files that had been recovered the GDR had on its citizens. Everything they did was watched and recorded and there were many people employed by the organisation to make sure people toed the party line or else you might vanish for a little while. Work, rest, play and religion were all monitored including contact with the west. I did an audio tour about this and it was interesting.

I wanted to get a look at the Brandenburg Gate while it was still daylight and got back there, but was really busting to use the loo. I headed for the one place that might, The Kennedy museum. They did and I paid and stayed to look at what they did have. I was surprised Jackie Kennedy was the one who controlled all pictures which was why you never seen JFK wearing glassed or on crutches. He was also very sick like taking plenty of drugs and had Addingtons disease and osteoarthritis in his back. It was actually interesting looking at the pictures and found he was actually upset with the wall being up at the Brandenburg gate. He was seen as a pop star amongst the German people. I thought the museum was a pleasant surprise and something different to what i would look at.

I walked back to the hostel which was not far and had a shower. I had to get to the show that I was going to see. While walking back I was tracing some of the wall and did come across Potsdamer platz here I was looking around one of the posts that give information. One German guy comes up to me and asks in English what are you doing. I told him not much and just reading. He asks me again and I decide to walk off before he asks me for money although he could obviously see what I was doing. Tanz Der Vampire, which was brilliant. I had only seen bits on youtube and never knew the sets would be so well done and the music including classics sung in German. I went to the show and I did not know a word of German and totally enjoyed watching the show. I will be doing the same thing when I go to Paris when I see Dracula Spectacula. I did not actually realise what I was getting myself in for, but well worth the price and I was up top and could see the stage very well. I enjoyed it and if I knew German I would see it again. It is one of those shows that English would ruin the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment