Monday, October 22, 2012

Euro tour day 6 2011



Euro tour day 6

Today was the day that I would go up to Edinburgh and Falkirk by train to meet up with a friend I have known on Facebook for a fair while.  The trip up to Edinburgh was actually really pleasant especially when I found a town that I would like to have a better look at another time. Berwick on Tweed does look like a nice seaside city. The weather so far has been really pleasant and not too bad at all. I didn’t get to go very far when I went into Edinburgh as I had a train to catch. I was wondering where the castle was although I later found I had been looking on the wrong side of the train at another part of the town although I did not know what I was actually looking for.

Falkirk was a nice little town where my friend Judith lives and I took a wander before I was going to meet up with her at the steeple which is a clock tower in the middle of the town. There is a small cemetery that is historic as it clains to have a person who was at the battle of Falkirk with or against William Wallace. There was a little bit of maintenance work going on in there too. I met up with my friend Judith and her niece and we walked down to Callendar park especially when I had seen the bit about the Augustine wall which rand from around Falkirk to Glascow. This wall was to keep the rabble out of the Roman controlled area.  Callendar house has several displays especially one about the different clothing.  Falkirk had seen a bit of history from Romans to the civil war which raged at the footsteps of the house. They have a working oven with several replicas and several original equipment. The fireplace is coal run and also fan forced as the smoke goes up the chimney.  The pots were pretty heavy especially when they were empty.

The trip to Edinburgh was really nice with Judy and Jen, her niece. They both showed me around the city and I found from looking around that it had everything you would want. After we had arrived, We went to get some lunch at one of the restaurants and on the way I found the city had something different. Talking traffic lights that told you where the lights had gone green from the pedestrian point of view. Really different and cities have something different.  The waiting in a restaurant for lunch was alright as they were flat chat trying to serve others. The spaghetti bog was really nice and hit the spot.

After lunch we went wandering towards the castle and I found out that they are laying tram lines in Edinburgh and they had been doing this for a while as Jen mentioned that it was hard driving around as they would have a street blocked off. We went to have a look at the different parts and ended up at the national gallery although no one went in especially when I was told that I should spend several days in the city. Something I did walk up well part way was the Scott Monument and the stairs became narrower as you went up. I did end up at the second level as that was all I really wanted as I thought I was high enough already off the ground. The way down was fun especially when I met some lady half way down and I had to hand her my bag while I squeezed past her. I made sure I didn’t grab her where she would not be happy with and I think she ws really impressed I never took advantage. I think I made it halfway with the 200 or so stairs.

We walked up to the castle although Judy and jen had to go back to Falkirk and let me do my own thing although I had a closer look at the Edinburgh castle. I did find weavers that let you walk in and have a look around. I didn’t stay very long as I had to make it back down to the train station myself and it was actually starting to get really cool. It was really nice to be with other people who  knew where to go as I had no idea . The good thing about getting back was that there was still no one in my room at the hostel. Still a private room even though there are 5 other beds

No comments:

Post a Comment