Monday, October 22, 2012

Euro tour day 20 Berlin



Euro tour day 20

Today is the day that I fly off to Berlin for the next couple of days. I woke up early so that I could get to the airport and have some food there while waiting for my flight. The airport map did not look big at all when I had a look the night before. Upon arriving at the airport I checked in and proceeded to security where I actually beeped. The guy frisked me all over and even the waistband of my trousers. I nearly thought he was going further at first, but I think he was satisfied and then looked at my boots. Breakfast was a sandwich that looked more like a pretzel with filling including salami. The airport at the moment is foggy and it is interesting watching the planes take off through the fog.

It was actually a short trip to Berlin as they did say over the radio, 45 minutes and they actually arrived 10 minutes early, which was good. Where I was on the plane was actually the last seat towards the rear door. Luckily I had a window seat and it was a seat that I had chosen when I was checking in on the plane in the morning. I was wondering where I do catch the bus and a short walk later I had found the correct bus, easy when you look at the numbers. I got my ticket and jumped off when the instructions told me so. I was worried about if the hostel would get called out when it got closer. I was actually on the list anyway and the building did stick out like a sore thumb. I have breakfast all sorted for the next two mornings although now that I have a basic understanding of how to get to the train station that takes me to the airport I think I will be alright. Which thing to catch actually is confusing. One map that I got my hands on has the routes and numbers of the bus service that takes them. I was given a key to my room with a tag and the other key that does come with it is my locker key, where I can store my laptop and don’t need to use my padlock.. Another key that is not part of the bunch, but I asked for was the key to use the lift all these I hand in when I checkout.

After getting to my room which is a two bed thing and right across from the womens loos and showers, I sorted out my bedding and since I was boiling, I took off my jumper and thermal and went out with just my jacket. I was going to collect my ticket to the show which I am seeing the next night. I could have gone tonight, but didn’t know how delayed I might be. The Theatre des Western is actually an old historic theatre in town near the zoo. The building is really nice and I went in to get my ticket. The ladies had trouble trying to get my ticket and told me that i am on the list; I just have to come back half hour before the show starts to get it. The show I am seeing is the original German Tanz Der Vampire. I walked out not worried although I then did find it was starting to get cold. No jumper and just a jacket told me I should head back before it became colder. A nearby hotel that got my attention was the hotel Savoy. It reminds me of something Cold War like one of the novels I read. It seems important somehow.

I wandered around and tried to understand the underground map and still had no idea where I was supposed to be, even the overground train was confusing. I found the toilets and they cost me 1 euro and were called Mr Clean. At least they had instruction in English and I was after change for the bus as each trip one way was costing me 2,30 euro. The zoo I did not want to enter even though it is smack bang in the middle of the city. I wandered around a bit and took pictures of the little red and green man who looked funny. After a meal of KFC where I was asked to place the order in English or German. I said English.... And then I would ask you what drink do you want and then I would ask you original or hot and spicy. On my way back I got a ticket from a machine and then found the stop was out of service due to roadworks, so I had to walk further down. While waiting at this next stop a guy asks me if I had a smoke. I pointed out that I don’t smoke and his reply was ‘That is not what I asked’. Dude you got your answer and luckily the bus had arrived. I found that the bus does take me past checkpoint Charlie, which I will find later. I am on the correct side of the city as The Gate and this is actually within walking distance. I was wondering how to validate my ticket when I got onto the bus and the driver pointed out the validating punch.

As I was leaving my room to go for a wander to see what I can find that is close by my roommate arrives with his girlfriend. Seems the key for the locker does not fit the number locker. I had never even looked at the locker and had just opened one and put my valuables inside. Seems I had the key for locker 1 when it should have been 2. Also they were told the lift was not working and that is why they did not get a key. Funny how I have a key and not going to give that baby up as I do not want to walk up and down stairs since I am on the fifth floor. That is a long way with a 17 kilo bag and I was not trained for the army.

The walk was really nice even thought it was cold and dark. I followed the park all the way round to where I knew the Brandenburg gate is located. That gate all light up is very impressive. I did find a strange van with radar on top and making strange sounds. Since it was near the British Ambassador and Russian Ambassadors consulates it is there for a reason. I found a museum on the Kennedys too. I stood in front of it trying to find my way with two maps, one of the bus routes and the other of my Lonely Planet book with the location of Check Point Charlie. A police officer was wandering over to see what I was doing although I moved off, so he left me alone.  I did go for a walk and I still do not know where Checkpoint Charlie was. The bus, which that goes past my place, does stop there so I will catch it in the morning. I am within 20 minutes walk of every museum that is of interest. I did walk past a couple of interesting places. This will be a fun two full days in the city of Berlin. I know some will say it is dangerous to be walking around at night in a strange city, but I did it and it was not late at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment