Monday, October 22, 2012

Euro tour day 12 Dover



Euro tour day 12

I planned to travel from Portsmouth to Dover which would take me most of the day. I was staying at the Ibis and it was really pokey and small room. It served the purpose although I was woken during the night from text messages from the marine rescue and it seemed to have made me paranoid that my alarm was never going to go off. I had watched a movie pay as you go, Captain America. The food was pretty ordinary as I had snags, scrambled egg and bacon. They were touch etc probably like a budget hotel is like. The internet was pretty average and kept on dropping out in my room although I was on the first floor and they did recommend that I use it in the lobby. There was something very funny about me trying to get into my room. I had left my keycard in the room and gone to dinner and gotten a spare, but I had my old card and it did not work, so had to get it reactivated.

The train station was easier to walk towards and quicker than the first time. I did walk past the library again and found the WWI memorial again that I had passed. If I had remembered where I had gone the day before then I would have visited the park with the war memorials that are in it and the aviary too. I did find I was at the wrong station as I was looking at the time. There are two train stations in Portsmouth although it was never a problem at all. The train did get an attachment going from a 4 cabin train to a 15 cabin train at Croyden I think it was. Never even noticed until they said something about the delay and the train said the number carriage I was in.

After arriving in London without any problems, I did find that the Victoria train station and Victoria coach Station were two different buildings although they were not too far away. Luckily I was actually paying attention. I walked into the bus station and had to ask for help as I did not understand the board that was telling you where to go. The times were all mixed up and not in order. I was told where to go and that I did not need to check in my bag and it was where I had been told. The trip through the city of London to Dover was interesting and I did see many places that I wanted to visit like Fleet Street and there was something that caught my eye, the house of William Bligh or his birthplace. The trip out of the city everything was foggy. Canterbury does look interesting especially the wall.

The arrival into Dover was pretty easy and it was not hard to follow the map I had to get to the hostel although I am on a main road with the train station very close. I had gotten the address and it was shown on the map as being far away and on another closer to town. I had to ring the button at least 3 times and around a 10 minute wait outside before the bloke came down. I don’t know if he had heard me ring. The guy did show me around the room and give me door codes and even told me how to open and close the blinds. He also told me that the room I am going to be in is already taken and that I will be in another room. I think this time the reviews from Trip advisor actually spoke the truth although He was nice enough to let me pay in the morning or else get charged 3% if I do not use cash. He pointed to a cash machine at the servo although I would only use the Barclays one.

Before escaping I looked up the bank ATMs so I can get some cash. The town does look really nice and there are some nice historical stuff there. I found it funny how on the side of the bank that near this location was a place of torture. Today that is a bank. It was getting dark so I was looking for some food. I found a pub that i thought would be nice and got the mixed grill, which I could not get the night before. I also had a beer called Brother Rabbit, which was from a keg and not a bottle. A Dover beer maybe and i liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment