Monday, October 22, 2012

Euro tour day 14



Euro tour day 14

I was able to get a full breakfast this morning from the hostel and it was better than nothing. The plan for me was to head to Canterbury and then the town of Sandwich with Deal if I had enough time. The other plan was to get some washing done as I will be leaving for London the next day. I jumped on the train on time as I started with Canterbury first.

I wanted to look at the wall and the castle although I had no real idea what I was wanting. I ended up walking to the remains of the castle in Canterbury first although I did find a church that had mounds from what I was thinking were made by moles although the game whack a mole came to mind. The area was a little foggy but other than that there was no problem. After the church I ended up at the Canterbury Cathedral that I explored. Two things inside the cathedral that got my attention. One was an Australian version of the guide and the priest actually gave a talk while I was inside. The acoustics were amasing especially when it all echoed. I don’t know if I was actually allowed to walk around Kings College.

I ended up talking to an archaeologist who was working on the Great Coister who was actually had someone researching for him one headstone that he had found as they were working in the area. Turns out the person was the first soldier to die during the reign of Victoria I think it was and the battle of Bouden hill. Not sure of the spelling though, but it can be easily Googled. I stumbled across the archives which is not just about the cathedral, but part of Canterbury’s records. Seems they are building a brand new archive centre in Maidstone where everything would be centralised. I thought this was pretty interesting especially when I told the lady that I did not know this place existed.

After Canterbury I had to get the train back to Dover so I can then head towards the town of Sandwich. Turns out Sandwich was more interesting than I thought it would be. The town looked really nice and did actually look like a medieval town. There was a roman Fort nnearby although I thought better when I did not know how far it was and it was actually getting pretty late in the day to be walking towards strange places. I tried following my map and found the Sandwich cricket club and ended up at the toll bridge with the Barbicain. The town did have some sluices although the water was green and i did not want to go near it. After an hour and half I had to leave the town for Dover as I had washing I needed to get done. On the way back I found there was no phone signal when you go under a tunnel.

When I returned to the hostel I found they had changed the door code again and when I spoke to the lady she told me they had moved my stuff into another room that had just a single bed instead of two beds.This never bothered me at all as I was not sure if they would move me or not. I got the washing done and went to the pub for dinner of a mixed grill. The beer with the meal was called ten acorns although they seem to have strange beer on tap.  I think this time around by eating something decent that has veges or salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment