Monday, October 22, 2012

Euro tour day 29



Euro tour day 29

After a sleepless night where i couldn’t sleep that well and had trouble falling asleep, I got up earlyish and went up to the Battle box where I took the tour. At first I had thought this would be a self guided tour of the location and turns into a audio tour and part interaction as you walk around the bunker area. There are actually stuff written by the Japanese secret police who were stationed there. The battle box tour is mainly about the last several hours of what happened when the British surrendered to the Japanese. It was interesting after a while although it did last only around an hour. Before the tour I was talking to the lady who works the ticket desk who was talking about the Indians when I told her where I was staying. She was also annoyed wit the security lady who had been giving people the wrong info the day before me being one of them. I did surprise the ticket lady when I told her I walked the hill area and went to see the king’s grave. I was told to take shoes off when I go there. The ticket lady was outspoken about her country as well talking about how she had thought it would fall to communism years ago, but didn’t.

After this I headed towards the Singapore Flyer although at the time I was getting really hungry. I found the Subway after I had seen the shop the night before. I had to wait for a bit and then was able to use my ticket. The car before us actually had a dining table and was some sort of restaurant. The person inside must have been some sort of celebrity as she was being filmed although I did see something like that the night before in the Marina Sands shopping centre. The sight from the observation deck was really wonderful and I had actually missed the rain as it had poured while I was at lunch, but stopped while I was on the flyer. I was able to see the ocean from the vantage point along with many areas that I would actually get to walk as well. After I left it actually started raining again and I found out what the rain is like especially when I had a small brolly.

The next destination was to go to Clarke Quay where I was planning on walking to where the Merlion was located. I found a local shopping centre and found several locations of interest to me. One was a store that sold Hello Kitty stuff and another was a book shop that sold books that were non English. I did like wandering around it. The wander was back on when I crossed the river and walked through a park where there was an Asian museum with several asian leaders like from India and Vietnam. I found one person I was after and that was Raffles location of where he had first landed. After that I wandered up to the two Merlions and by this time I was exhausted. I was tired and thirsty and was trying to find Raffles Quay MRT, which was a fair distance away. I did have troubles with a ticket I bought as it would not work and the ticket people did fix it for me when I explained. Usually I have problems when the machines dont work properly and give me a different location to the one I had chosen. Touch screen is not always a good way of working.

After getting back and having a rest I was off again this time to Orchard Avenue for dinner. I bought a black bean rice chicken bun wrapped up in a leaf. I actually liked this and wandered around for half hour or so looking for somewhere to eat. I did eventually find Food Republic an eatery area catering to Asian crusine. I found one where I could put things together to be put into a soup. Always interesting watching people cut things up with scissors. I had made myself some sort of concoction that went into a broth. I ate it after I found a seat as other people mainly told me this seat was taken and I did find one eventually. I felt heaps better after the meal and i did have to use chopsticks. The area at that time of night was very busy with people traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment