Monday, October 1, 2012

Euro tour day 3



Today the clocks changed back an hour over in England and this meant I was able to get some more sleep. I did feel better with around 5 hours sleep and I did need it too. I had planned a trip to Gravesend at 7.30 and the underground at that time was not working due to maintenance on the lines until around 9am or something like it. I instead had to catch a bus to the station. I planned to eat breaky before I caught the train. The station was closed until around 7am and the nearest Macdonalds was only letting 5 people in at a time. I was not going to argue with the security guard he was a nugget of a guy.

Several people were in costumes for Halloween parties including one guy that I actually thought was a woman until he spoke. Um yeah the no bust should have told me something and i think the girl with him was the same too, but it is dark at that time of morning so i cant be blamed. Lord Nelson did look different too with a light on him.

The train was running on time and i had to get off at Dartford or so I thought. The ticket told me to change trains, but the same train stopped and then restarted another service that went past Gravesend. Luckily I was being paranoid and triple checked the print off I had and then asked a guy and he told me that train was going there. I jumped back on and then went to Graveend. The town was lovely and that is where some problems started. I spent around 40 mins walking in the wrong direction and got lost and wondered why i couldn’t find what i was after which should have just been down the road. I think I was still tired from yesterday. Still i found a cemetery, but never entered and a church. After asking Tesco supermarket I went in the right direction. I had gotten confused over the directions and I did have a map. Still I found St. Georges church and the Pocahontas statue that was donated by the governor of Virginia as she was part of Jamestown and American history. The cemetery no longer exists, but they do not know the location as the original church burned to the ground. The lady at the church thought it was wonderful that I came for the statue and did ask if i would like to join them for Sunday worship. I told her sorry, but I was planning to have a look around town. I weant for a wander and found the remains of an old fort which was now a park and part of the crossfire ports, which when fired would cross the other forts when enemy ships entered. There were some other remains of old blockhouses and several old churches.

During this time of wandering I actually worked up a sweat especially since it was very warm and strange for this time of year. I had to take off my jumper as i was wearing a jacket over the top. I had packed plenty of clothes too anticipating the cold weather. I don’t think this helped with getting lost, but I was angry with myself for being stupid, but its all in the past and I had plenty of time to do my thing.

After I got back to London I went to a comic convention in Excel which is a stadium area near Greenwich. I spent several hours there including watching the wrestling from the front row. They will show on youtube and I might be seen hehehe. There were plenty of character there too, so it was all good and I did find an umbrella that could be slung across your back and looked like a samurai sword. I did buy somethings, but nothing that cant be sent home. By the time I had finished my wandering I was wanting to go home and was pretty exhausted and wanted food first. I was dehydrated too although i had water with me. I ate at Nandos and then went back to the hostel where I had to do a load of washing as there would be some stinky clothes from KL and today. I was getting tired and my whole body ached, but I wanted to visit Greenwich, but that part of the line was shut and it would take the bus 40 mins to get there so I decided to go back as I would likely crash big time. That tour will be for next time as I have the WWE to see next week..

No comments:

Post a Comment