Monday, October 22, 2012

Euro tour day 18, To Germany



Euro tour day 18

Today was an early start as I had to be at the airport for an 8am flight to Nuremburg. At 4 am in the morning while waiting for the bus I was not cold at all. In fact I was getting really warm with a light jumper and my jacket as I had always been while I been floating around in the UK. The reason I took a bus was that at that time of night the underground network does not run. The bus took me to Victoria station, but I thought it still had a bit of a way to go when it had finally stopped at its final destination. Being night you cant tell what is happening at all. The train I was able to catch without any problems.

The airport was a different matter entirely. I read the board and followed instructions and found I was looking at the wrong carrier. I was in the right terminal just reading the letters wrong. I got the letters right after a couple of minutes, but since Easyjet has a big slice of the check in area I was at I could not quite see the Berlin air as they had only two bays all around the orange stuff. Getting through security was no problems until it came to waiting for the gate to open. The gate number was supposed to pop up at 705 and with a boarding time of around 730. The gate kept on with please wait for around 15 minutes and then the gate number came up and I made sure I was heading to the right gate at least three times. While on the plane and in the air I could actually see two other planes. One was lower down towards the ground and the other one was higher up. Not only that, but I recognised what looked to be a nuclear power plant with a town nearby.

Landing in Germany, well Nuremburg was interesting. I cannot read German or speak it. I knew the way to the hostel and actually got stuck with the ticket machine even though it was English I had no idea what ticket I needed. I chose one and then hopped onto the train. I really found out how German everything was as there was no English translation anywhere. I actually found the hostel without any problems and then the archives. I did wander around the outside of the archives getting myself encouraged. I went into the museum first thinking that was part of it and nope the archives were next door. I found where I had to go and luckily I remembered my translation book. I made sure I had the right room to ask for enquires although one of the words was close to being translated as lesbian. I was lucky there was a bloke at the desk who could speak limited English and I explained what I was after and even wrote it down. The man searched and came back to tell me he couldn’t find anything and to dig further would cost 40 Euro and meant that there were no guarantees. He did also say the records I was wanting were actually burnt during the war from the late 1800s to 1930s. I did thank him for his time and did find he had limited English.

Afterwards I wandered around town and tried to get myself lost. This never worked as I kept going round in circles back towards where I was staying. One street Io was wondering why it was quiet and realised the street had adult entertainment venues. Across from one place I actually had my translation book out again and couldn’t find the word plastered across the building. I also found I had no hope in hell trying to read a menu although I did find a shop dedicated to selling sausages of all sorts. Maccas at least had a menu that was in English. Later on I did find a bookshop, but again everything was in German. I don’t really need to read books in German. Not until I speak fluent German. 


No comments:

Post a Comment