Monday, October 22, 2012

Euro tour day 31 Homeward bound



Euro tour day 31

Today was the day that I leave Singapore for home. I got up early as I had to finish packing my bags and sorting out what I needed to have for easy access. I had charged my netbook and phone the night before as I would have been without a fully charged phone. The bags didn’t take long to pack at all and I was ready to leave. I was being picked up at 10 am by Dawn in a taxi who was going to take me to her place for a swim before going towards the airport. Dawn was on time and I was actually reading short stories by HP Lovecraft.

Dawn picked me up and I went to her place for a swim in her pool. It was a nice place and the swim was really appreciated. That and the shower I did have afterwards. I did have to dry my shorts afterwards with a hair dryer to make sure it was not dripping and then placed into my bag. There was a small hitch that I did not realise until later was that I had left my toilet bag at Dawn’s place and had left. I was not too worried about this as I knew it was safe where it was. Dawn treated me to lunch at a club she is a member of and it was really nice to spend time there and eat something. I had a steak, which I had been hanging out for. We then left for the Changi museum which is about WWII.

Changi jail and chapel museum is not just how the Australians were treated during the war, but how the people of Singapore were treated and how many were just executed or used for other purposes like the Thai Burma railway on the promise of better conditions. The museum was not just about the people but how they survived during the war and what they actually did to pass the time. I took the audio tour and just wandered around listening to the stories and watching the people who were walking around the small museum. It has been said that it will take around an hour to go through, although I think it took me a little longer.

After changi museum, we headed straight for the airport and was talking to a nice Chinese taxi driver who revealed that he works 7 days a week. He also has to pay the taxi company money as he works for them. I don’t know why he has to do that and if he needs a relief worker then he has to pay half of what he earns to the relief driver. The driver had been in Singapore for around 30 years or so as he knew what the country was like before they reclaimed land and the road conditions. I checked in at the airport with a bag that weighs 19 kilos and Dawn I think was surprised I put this on my back to go places. After leaving and saying goodbye to Dawn, who I will meet again once she ends up in Sydney within the next year. I did wander around the airport and only stayed in Terminal 1 as that was big enough anyway. I found plenty of shops in the airport including electronics. If I had more time I would have gone through the other terminals although I was on the far side of the terminal I was in. 

The plane was late and it had me wondering if I would have problems with getting to the Australia flight. I made it with plenty of time though and it was actually pouring when I flew into KL. The wait was around an hour and then I was off again. KL LCCT airport is boring once you have been to the big ones like Changi, although so is the Gold Coast terminal unless you class that as international when it is more country.

This is the end of my trip and I would like to organise another one for next year although I don’t know where to go other than Berlin maybe Italy, more of England maybe with Ireland and Scotland thrown into the mix. I have found so many interesting places that I want to visit and have made some interesting discoveries too.

No comments:

Post a Comment