Saturday, June 29, 2019

Wandering Boots Tour: Day 41 Train to Portsmouth



By the numbers
15,966 steps
12.08 kms

Today was the day that I end up in Portsmouth for my birthday and I was heading there by train on a day that was meant to be pretty hot. The pub didn’t close until 2am and I did go to sleep around 1am only to wake up in shock that I had gone to sleep. That was at 230am and I switched my light off. I didn’t wake again til 5am where I posted my bloig and then went back to bed. I was too distracted with watching TV shows than doing anything else, although who could blame me especially since I would have to leave the room for the wifi. The day was meant to be the hottest yet and the weather program saids there might be train cancelations due to hot railways. I really hoped that would not happen as I would be a little pissed if that happened.

I made sure I had a decent breakfast before I left for the blue yonder, although my train did not leave until 11am so I took my time in checking out. I ended up watching a TV show by the name of Time Team who were looking for a Roman house that had been looked at in the 1960s. The end of the show meant I was leaving with all my stuff. I was hoping the destination after this one had a washing machine as I think my clothes would be really stinky by the time I got anywhere especially if I was seating a lot on heatwave conditions. I think it is lucky I cannot smell my bag. I know my little removable backpack must smell as I know my sweat has soaked into the bag. The train turned up even though I had been waiting for around 40 mins. I could only catch trains to do with the company I bought them off. The change over station was at Southampton, where I got to my next train.. The seating area I was in had aircon that was struggling and a couple of British were bitching from the time they sat down. Complaining about the air con and that the train should be moving on time. A conductor came along and told people if they wanted to move further back as the aircon didn’t work well in that section. Everyone moved except for myself and another lady. I explained, I am Australian this is actually nice. A lady in front of me said she is from South Africa and agreed with me. It was actually comfortable. I took the train all the way to Fratton a part of Portsmouth.

I walked to where I was staying. No one was waiting at the house and I had been given a code to collect the key as it was in a little safe and on a chain. I let myself in and found my room. The door had the same thing and I was able to enter my room with the keys. Its an interesting way as I had not come across that one before. I hung around sorting out my bags and explored the rooms. I found a washing machine in the kitchen and I hoped by the time I returned no one else had the same idea. There wasn’t a dryer, but with this heatwave it will be all dry by morning or within a couple of hours. I head for the museum that I had found when looking at things to do in the afternoon. On the way I got a sausage roll from the supermarket as I had not had lunch yet at it was nearly 3pm. The museum was easy to find even when I visited it via a local cemetery. The museum was not actually that bigI spent around 20 mind walking around it and that did include the butterfly house. It was a nice little museum, mostly for kids really, but I was glad that I had visited it. I thought there would be more dinosaur related things, but I was happy with what they did have.

I headed for the nextthing on my list that I wanted to visit this afternoon before it shut, but I didn’t know if I wopuld have time. There was another fortification and that was Southsea Castle built by King Henry the VIII. I headed for the very busy beach area and people had their portable BBQs puffing smoke in one direction  to make the park pretty smokey. Once on the promenade, I found the pier and I wandered part of it while thinking it was funny I was seeing plenty of pink people who were over burnt and becoming crispy. The pier did include food stalls and an arcade area that was very noisy. Walking on I did find the Castle and found that it was actually free to visit. There was around half hour before it closed and I did have a look around. It was over 400 years old and one of the line of defences in the area. They even had a chain that went across the harbour entrance to stop enemy ships from entering. The castle had been redesigned since Henry’s time especially during the 1800s. The castle includes a lighthouse too that had a keeper until it was automated. At one point the castle did blow up as some gunpowder caught fire. During WW1 people did use the castle, but they had bad experiences of trying to sleep there. I did have a drink before leaving.

Even in late afternoon there was still plenty of people enjoying the sunshine. I was heading back so I could get the washing done and get some dinner somewhere. I checked two supermarkets on the way back and they didn’t have a great selection. I ended up in a Chinese takeaway getting chips and a steak and kidney pie. I ate first and then put the washing on after a shower. I still had my detergent from Cardiff. I still hadn’t ordered my new vehicle license yet and I did that before I get home or else I would be a touch stuck. It should be waiting for me by the time I get home. I was able to check things online that I hadn’t been able to do and make sure payments like health insurance were correct. I think I have sorted everything out properly.

1 comment: