Saturday, June 1, 2019

Wandering boots tour: Day 13 Copenhagen to Stockholm




By the numbers
1 high speed train
10236 steps
7.54kms

The room this morning became pretty warm as the windows were shut the door shut and if the windows were open, I would have posted about the cold. You cannot win either way, but the sun was up early and I did finish off the little bit of packing I did have and likely waking up the troupe that decided to turn up at midnight and then leave the light on. I seem to wake with the sun rising like a reverse vampire. I did have breakfast at the hostel, which they do supply for a cost. I had pancakes with jam and fresh bread.

Off to the train I went and I knew the way as I had scouted that out several days before so I would know where top go unlike others who would get lost and “I know of several who did that as I was waiting on the correct platform. The train arrived basically on time and without any problems. It was interesting as no one questioned the seat i was in or even looked at my ticket. The only looking someone did was at the train station just over the border into Sweden where they checked passports. They had purple gloves, but the didn’t really care about me, which is good and they did vanish like a slight summer shower. The traip on the train was pretty good. Along the way, I did see some un edited Ikea furnityure going down the reail line to destinations unknown and the train I soon realised tilted as I looked over to the window on the other side and I could see water until it straightened up. I was happy to look out the window andf I even helped two ladies with their bags the first time was when we were leaving and the other time was the lady who sat with me. In all the two bags were pretty light.

I took off walking towards the hostel in the direction that I had not realised at the time, which would be the long way round. Thats what happens when you jump out of a station exit without knowing whats going on.. It was after 3pm, closer to 4pm and I had checked in, then had a shower as I nearly went walking and didn’t know what time I would be back. I went for a wander around the block really towards the Central Station again to see where the airport buses leave as I needed to know. Seems you have to wait inside the terminal until you are called out. Simple enough. After that I wanted to either head back to the hostel or take the Subway or Tunnelbana, not banana to a station nearby. I walked towards the entrance as I had to scan my travel card, but I had to abort as I had a tickle in my throat that would not go away. I surfaced and the tickle went away strangely enough. I went right back down again.

I scanned my card, which means its now validated for 72 hours use. I ended up in Gamla Stan that had lots of old stuff, but I took several corners and ended up outside the Nobel Museum anout the guy who created the prizes. I had heard some music playing and it was the military band who were playing a few songs and one included an ABBA song. I stayed to watch and thought why not visit the museum since it was just before 7pm. The museum didn’t close until 8pm. I spent the last hour wandering the small museum as it had stuff from past winners like the lady who created an organisation around awareness of landmines, A scientist who found electricity could be conducted in salt water. There were quite a few people including an announcement about Bob Dylan getting an award. Martin Luthor King Jr. Seemed to have a influence on the museum as he did feature in a whole exhibit of his own I never knew he had been to Stockholm on several occasions and gave speeches including raising money in Europe. I did enjoy looking at some of the stuff that made the prize winners human like their glasses or even how one made his own flies for fishing. Nobel himself proved to be a smart person with 5 languages at least, writer of 30 letters a day and inventor of devices like dynamite as one such thing. By this time it was getting late and I escaped 5 mins before the museum closed and by this time it had been raining.

I wasn’t sure if the cobbles would be slippery, but they did not seem to be as I headed back. The train took me back to Central station where I got lost and turned around. I had not counted on the station being so big. I was wondering why my map wasn’t going very far and it was due to the side of the station as it expands on quite some ground. I wanted to get into the hostel before it rained and became wet and dark. At least this time I found the right way to go and would be the direction I take to get the bus to the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment