Thursday, June 13, 2019

Wandering Boots tour: Day 25, From Paris with love to Edinburgh



By the numbers
14,115 steps
10.44kms
The morning in Paris started really well as I got up early and had breakfast before deciding that I would take a quick wander through Paris before heading to the train station after the walk and checking out. Deciding to walk to the Sacre Coeur, which is a nice looking white church building. I walked there and realised that there would be more stairs as I seem to be finding the stairs this trip. Still I got to see the building and I went down the hill where some dodgy guys were looking at me and said ‘ Hey Bro’, I kept on walking away from them as I know I profiled them from a distance and I headed back to the station. I had bought my train ticket on the way to the church and knew where I would be going.

Once I had packed my bags and was on my way to the station, I was happy. I wanted to just sit and relax at the airport after checking my bag and going from there. Turns out there was a problem with the airport line due to signal problems and were were directed towards another platform that was full of people. I could have gotten onto one train, but opted for the next one several minutes later. The train came and it didn’t quite stop where it should so people in mad panics stampeded the train. I looked and went to another door and shoved myself on, while being told to move down. I did and found a spare seat. It was then I discovered a problem..... My wallet was no longer in my pocket. In the torrent of bodies the wallet had been taken from my pocket without me noticing. I asked around and no one knew and one guy said they would look. A French lady said that there is a police station at the airport, where I can make a report.as I was ready to head back to Gare Du Nord.

The wallet saga didn’t stop there as I used my phone to access my cards as I lost my debit card, and two travel cards. I had the travel cards together as one had been acting up and I still wonder if the French machines don’t like my cards. I did notice several withdrawals before the cards were cancelled and I transferred all my money out of my account. I then reissued my debit card, so that it will be there when I got home. The travel cards I would have to sort out later. I only had my credit card sitting with my passport left. I was grateful for that too as I had something at least. Once at the airport the nice French lady helped by talking to the train conductors who said there were people in the airport. She asked the military guys patrolling and they didn’t want to know, although they had no idea. The lady was disgusted that I had been robbed and said I should not have my wallet in my pocket as Paris is not a safe place. I checked in before going to find the police station. I had to cover my bag in plastic for some reason, which I didn’t question and then the bag was sent off. I did have to tie the bag up as ‘it’ was now too long and after a supervisort sorted it out, the bag went on its way.

I found the assistance place and they sent me off to where the police were as I then made a statement for the police. I gave them my passport and boarding pass where I spoke to the lady who didn’t speak great English, but told them what I lost in detail. She wrote it down and I included my details. Around 2 hours later of sitting reading a book about murder in a police station, of course as I had been told the police guys were going to lunch for 20 mins. I watched police come in and greet everyone with kisses except for the blokes who shook hands. Guys kiss the girls, girls kiss the girls, but the men shook hands. I thought that was an interesting way of greeting. I would get punched if I tried that at work let alone get away with it through HR. I got a report alright in triplicate, where I had to sign for them and then I was on my way. I had a copy for my records to make a report, although I have no idea how to do that. I took off running to the loo first and then out to immigration where I got my passport stamped and my bags scanned. I bolted through the departures looking for my flight with a belt around my neck not sure how long it would be before I got to the gate and I was there 10 mins before boarding. By this time I had nothing to eat or drink since breakfast at it was a 250pm boarding.

The flight wasn’t too bad as I was happy to be on it and not waiting amongst a bunch of police who probably knew I was reading a James Patterson book. Pretty sure they were all profiling me and knew I knew not a word of French. Still the flight was good and they gave us some refreshments and some scroll thing that I happily ate. Once we landed I seen there were long lines at the Edinburgh airport for immigration. The smart gates were working and I got through that line pretty fast as it was constantly moving unlike the other line. I did happen to have some currency on me in the form of Swedish Kroner and Singapore Dollars. All up it added to around 32 pounds and change, better than nothing at all. I took myself to the tram where my card decided, nope, wont work. Getting a little upset and annoyed, I seen a conductress who told me to tap it and I tried that and the damn thing worked. I was impressed as I was told that feature would not work overseas. The tram went into the city slowly as it got stuck in traffic along the way as it was now 6pm.

 I found my way to the hostel and even thought knowing my luck I had found a garbage pile. Turns out the hostel is one of three in the building above a pub. I had walked right past the door not realising. I walked up more lovely steps into the hostel and the girl thought my bag was heavy as I wasn’t too worried. She did take my backpack to my room and felt sorry for me when I told her my tale of woe. I needed food, which I found at KFC and then showered before calling the bank about the travel cards and chatted with a guy called Brad. Turns out my cards cannot be sent to me, it has to go home and get sent from there. Annoying, but nothing I can do about it. I can increase my credit card limit, but need a drivers license. I can do it over the phone, but I need sleep and the good thing is everything is mostly paid for over here. I am staying right next door to the Scottish Archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment