Friday, June 7, 2019

Wandering boots tour: Day 19 Arrival in Ypres



By the numbers
2 trains
1 lost person
19,820 steps
14.58 kms

The day started really well as I had slept well and gotten up early enough that I could have my breakfast before the large crowds of hungry people come down as well. I was leaving today anyway as I took my bag down. The refund for the towel paid for my breakfast, so that was actually a win. I had something to eat and drink before I headed to the train station early as I tend to make sure. That wasn’t too bad at all and my train arrived on time and on the right platform. I jumped off in Ghent and took the next one right into Ypres or as they say here Leper. The trains seem to be easy to catch so long as you know the time and destination.

I followed my map once I got off the train to my destination only to find that the building I am after is actually being renovated and I was looking for the number even though my map told me where to go. Turns out after I literally rang the owner in a panic only to find out that I should have been on the other side of the road. The map was very, very wrong. In the little block I was on, the place was now. I was able to drop my bags off as the room had not been cleaned yet and I went off into Ypres with the though that my bags were in a safe place and I had a key to get back into my room. They even showed me where to put the bike when I eventually returned with it.

I walked to the menin Gate basically a kilometre or so away, which wasn’t that far away.and came across some other places like the Cloth Hall that had been badly damaged during World War One and now had two museums inside. I was distracted enough that I bought some magnets especially since I had missed a Brussels one. I walked around the Menin Gate looking at the lists of names on the memorial thinking it was an imposing sight. I had made a booking for a bike hire and now was when I checked the address, which wasa place I had laughed at as it was called a Bike bar. Turns out they had closed and would not return until around 4pm and it was after the time thewy were open, which was on a board.

I turned around and headed to the Cloth Hall Museum cafe for lunch. It was that time of day and I wanted to visit the museum after. After the short stop, I bought a ticket for both museums as they are separate and to climb into the Belfry was another extra. It was around 200+ stairs to the top, so it wouldn’t be that bad. The Flanders Fiends Museum was about events that took place in World War One and even included an archaeological did that found a preserved tunnel with equipment still inside.. The museum covered the horrors of the war, gas and gasmask. In the middle of the museum I could walk up the Belfry, which included the bells that made a tune and they made a tune when I was i there and it was really loud.  I was able to get to the roof to take pictures, but it was also raining, so I was careful how I moved around as I didn’t know how slippery it would be. I finished off the WW1 museum part and wandered over to the Ypres history museum. That was unexpected as  the town was well known for its cloths and other countries and cities would try to invade . The town had defence positions built and rebuilt over time and then torn down. Just depended on the king. After the war the town’s fortunes had changed as it was now pretty poor and destroyed from the war. I  really needed to use the loo and I didn’t quite finish the whole museum, but there was plenty to see and do there. I still don’t know what the farting knights were about, but at least the interactive stuff was pretty good and has a cat festival every three years as cats are a thing here too.

I weas able to get hold of a bike when I returned and I made sure as I had a helmet since I don’t think my travel insurance would cover me if I was not. I basically walked the bike back sa I got lost with what side of the road I should be on. Doesnt help when I am on the one way streets or unsure who has right of way, although it seems the bikes do. There are some dedicated bike paths that I will look up to see what I can find. I was able to store the bike away and head back into town after my shower so that I could watch the last post. I did turn up early, but there were quite a few people there too. Regardless I was glad I had gone. During the post it did rain and luckily I never got wet and only knew about it when I walked outside. I did find one of the many cemeteries dotting the country side and had a wander around before it got dark. It was worth seeing the post even though there was so many people that I couldn’t see that much apart from hear it. I even t=found the Commonwealth War Graves Commission building and they were still there, which was pretty good. I had a question and that was answered.

Hopefully the morning isn’t too wet as I do want to visit some places on the bike, but as I write this I can hear the rain and it has been wet over the last couple of days. Of course that had to happen to me, but we shall see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment