Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Wandering Boots Tour: Day 38 Fried in Weymouth



By the numbers
20,993 steps
15.66 kms

The funny part about the journey so far is that there are reports of heatwaves in Europe. I think I will believe the stories as I got burnt while wandering around on my journey through Weymouth. I should start at the beginning. I decided to sleep in a touch and wanted to get the train to Weymouth after I had some breakfast. I was told about a place nearby as the pub doesn’t open until 11am, which doesn’t bother me much at all, but I think people are surprised, I don’t stay in bed until then. The day is basically gone by the time that happens. I had an English style breakfast with a coffee and was satisfied by the time I left.

Weymouth was only one station away from Dorchester and while I could get a bus, I thought it was easier to get a train. I thought the weather was going to turn out to be wet and I had taken my jumper with me until it became too hot to wear. I think it is now time that I no longer require my jumper. I took a wrong turn as I wanted to head towards the Portland area where the Portland Bill Lighthouse was located. I ended up at the beach near the train station, so went for a walk to have a look at a typical seaside town. You could hire out deck chairs and at that time it looked like it was going to rain until it cleared up later on. I even found a statue about King George, which was weird and even included a bathing cart replica that was used to be dragged out to sea so he could go for a swim. It did seem that this place was also a main bus stop for the town. I did see several sets of amusement park type places, although I have no idea if they are temporary or permanent.

There was a fort nearby that I could have visited, but it was another one in Portland that I wanted to visit and one that I was trying to make my way to when I was getting distracted by everything else in the town of Weymouth. A train used to run down one of the streets next to the wharves until it was taken away as it wasn’t making money or popular enough. That was around the late 90s that the train stopped running along the tram way. Nearby was a bridge that opened at certain times of the day to let the boats through and it was unique as it was of a similar type like the Tower bridge in London. Not realising the sort of distance I was wanting to walk and realising the sun was coming out, I put on my sunnies as it was getting too bright outside and steamed my way up the hill following the road that would take me out to Portland. I was looking at the bus stops along the way contemplating getting one, but I kept on going as I didn’t want to miss anything. By the time I could see the causeway I was really sweating like it was an Aussie summer. I was making suire I was on the right track as I didn’t want to get stuck. I could see the growing hill that was where the light house was on. I was actually starting to think my ambitious plan was doomed as the hill looked a bit big especially on a steamy day. The causeway part was the fun part as it was concrete and I had found a rail trail that I could have taken to cut my walking trip down quite a bit. It was at that point that the distance from Weymouth was 4 miles or 6 kms. That short cut was a rail trail that once had a rail line running through from Weymouth. The walk through the marina bought me to a cafe that I had to stop at for lunch and a drink or else I might not stop until I drop.

While sitting down at the cafe with my chicken and mayo sandwiches, I looked up how far it would be from my current location to walk to the light house. Turns out that would be another hour. I don’t think the bus makes it that far, but I decided to see what happens when I walk to Portland Castle I found the building alright once I headed off, but I was also feeling the sting from the sun. I was wanting out of the sun at that stage. The castle was another English Heritage site and so far I have made my money back from entry. I really would once I visit Dover Castle. Turns out the castle isn’t actually a castle, but a coastal fort that had been built during King Henry VIII’s time around the 1500s. The king with all the wives with several being executed and divorced, plus the separation of the church from Rome. The fort was linked with several others including the one in Weymouth that I dismissed earlier. When you have three forts within firing distance of hitting ships then you have everything covered. The other fort I mentioned was now a ruin. The fort was involved with the English civil war on both sides and more recently was apparently part of the D-Day operations. There was even what they called Phoenix Caissons that were meant to be part of the invasion. They are huge floating concrete boxes to create an artificial harbour. I did impress the guy at the counter that I had walked from Weymouth.

I walked to where I could catch the bus back to Weymouth as I wasn’t willing to visit the light house and I was feeling a little fried from the sun. That told me I should call it a day. I actually arrived at the stop 5 mins before the next bus arrived, which was great timing. The destination was the king’s statue, which was exactly where I was earlier in the day. I did have a look at the arcade games and it was a noisy area that included an 18+ area with pokies, but there were several that were not in the restricted area. It wasn’t actually far to the train station and it was like catching the bus as I had gotten there on time and the train was waiting. Once we pulled into the station, I went looking for something that was close by known as the Maumbury Rings. It was an old fortification dating further back than the Roman times as they had settled in the Dorchester area and were used again during the English Civil War. There does seem to be a bit of things like forts being reused in the UIK by many groups. The museum was mentioned and I thought that would be good to spend a couple of hours. Turns out that wont be open until next year as its being refurbished. When I got back I realised I was actually sunburnt from the day of walking in the sun and I had not even realised it even though I was trying to get out of the sun at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment