Monday, June 24, 2019

Wandering Boots Tour: Day 36 Wandering Cardiff



By the numbers
21,709 steps
16.26 kms

The day started with a decent breakfast at the hostel. I had literally crashed the night before as I must have really needed the sleep. I never heard another person enter the room as they were in another of the four beds not on top of mine. Breakfast did cost me, although well worth it as it was all you can eat that included coffee. This one was better than all the European ones as it was a real continental breakfast with baked beans. I was happy for that as I needed a decent breakfast before I wandered off.

When I did wander off out into Cardiff, I took my bag tag out of the power slot as I did not want that to go missing at all even though it had my name on it. I don’t know if all the power in the room goes out when I pull it, but I didn’t wait and see. One of the places I went to visit were two locations that I knew of for the show called Torchwood, which is a spin off from the Doctor Who series that seems to be filmed in and around Cardiff. This place was down at Mermaid Quay on the water front. It was a nice walk even though I had started with a jumper and soon tied it to my waist where it was for the entire day. I found the Roald dahl plaza area that had the tv show locations and I even found the church that Roald dahl had been baptised in, which was all basically next to the Legislative buildings, although I wasn’t very sure if the pollies would come here. I had a look around the area for a little bit before heading to another film shot.

The next bit was a walk to the museum even though it was shut on the Monday, I walked the 20 mins to where it is located, which is next to the town hall. I sat in the part for around 10 mins before having a look. I circled the building to see if there was anything recognisable from Doctor Who, although I think most of the shots took place inside. I did see what looked to be a bee keeper on the roof, but he didn’t stick around in sight for long. A man and his daughter were looking for some building and one guy walking past ignored him. I replied that I am not local so I have no idea. He did thank me even though I was not helpful. I should guess that it was in the town hall building if he is in the area.

There was one thing I wanted to do and that was to visit Cardiff Castle. I was close to where it was and I rushed over there to get my ticket. A free audio tour came with the ticket. A lot of the ground you could not access as they were pulling down things from the day before as they had an event. I soon learnt the castle had a very long history as it was once a Roman fort as they had found the walls, which is behind where you get your tickets. That was interesting as people had thought before the wall had been found the castle was from the Norman era, which is still pretty old. The whole complex has been landscaped and renovated as time has gone on. Luckily the Norman keep wasn’t knocked down, but basically turned into a ‘feature’ in the garden. You could walk up and have a look inside even though there is no longer a roof over the top. In the mid 1900s the castle and some of the grounds had been donated to the city, although I think this is why you can now visit the castle and apartments. The apartments were interesting as there was some really nice carvings in them especially in the dining room. There were paintings on every wall that told a story including carved angels on the roof. The library had similar too and I was impressed by all the stuff. During World War 2, the castle area was used for air raid shelters as under the battlements were tunnels where you could stay. It was interesting to walk through that area as it was dark and they had sounds of an air raid going on to add to the atmosphere.

By this time I wanted to get back to the hostel as it was mid afternoon and I wanted to do the washing before I headed to Dorchester the next day. I went looking for several more Doctor Who filming locations and one of them I actually walked past without realising it. There was a gap between building that was an alley that featured in a character called Clara who was about to die and she found an alien shopping area. You could see it better from across the road instead of being on the same side. By this time I headed back and when I got back I was able to have a shower. The guy staying in the room offered me a glass of wine as he pointed out he will be drunk just drinking the bottle. I turned him down on the drink. I wanted to wash and then sort my bags ready for the morning. Plus to check the train timetables to make sure everything is correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment