Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Wandering Boots Tour: Day 37 Train to Dorchester



By the numbers
1 KG package sent home
10,834 steps
8.13 kms

The day had come that I am basically on the last leg of my epic journey across Europe. I still have several places to visit, but I will be making one of my longest stays on this trip and that will be in Dorchester. The weather had been predicted to be wet on the day I leave Cardiff and stepping outside it was in fact raining during breakfast. I was dreading having to walk to the station as I didn’t want to have my bag covered in its rain coat and try and hold the brolly while wandering to the station. I ate breakfast and then decided it was time to move on. I hoped that by removing my card the shower would not lose heat, but I know the light would be gone. I didn’t want to lose my dog tags that I was using instead of my key card for the doors.

As I walked to the train station, I realised my bag was pretty heavy and it was not fun carrying whatever weight I was carrying. I did plan to post things home once I had access to my new cards as they were ready to pickup in Dorchester. I had been buying guide books to a few places that I had visited along the way. I made it to the station with heaps of time and found the train splits in two once it arrives in Bristol Temple Meads station. The first two carriages stayed in the station and the back two headed into Portsmouth.  At least they all called into the same station and I wasn’t too worried when I got on and it hadn’t rained on my long walk either. I was right across the station I needed to be on and I realised something funny was going on. Half way the platform it changed numbers. I was on platform 11 and down the other end it was platform 12. I had never encountered that before apart from platform 11A and then 11B. The train arrived early, but the best thing about both trains was the access to free wifi and I was tracking the journey as I went. The train to Dorchester was becoming uncomfortable and it wasn’t because I was itching to get up and go. It was like the air conditioning was not working at all in the carriage and it wasn’t even that full. I endured until I got off the train, which was refreshing.

There are two train stations in Dorchester and I got off on the West one and would be using the South station to head into Portsmouth. I am close to both so its no big problem. Better than the last time I stayed in the town as I was lost. I now have a phone that can show me where to go without getting me too lost. The first stop was to the post office to pick up the replacement cards that had been stolen in Paris. No problem there as I showed my ID to get them. The second task was visit the loo and then activate the cards. I only did one of them as I could sort the rest out once I was in my room. The pub that I was staying in was on the same path that I had taken to the Post office. I seen a back entrance and took it. I usually walk in through the front door, but this was a convenient sign with a big hand pointing the way. The pub was open and the owner seemed to be there and I found he owned several pubs in the area. I learnt the condition of the rooms were pretty bad when he took over end of last year. He got a shock that I had booked in June last year as the systems had been apparently wiped. I did get asked by the bar tender lady if I was backpacking around Europe. I looked at her and pointed to my body and said I don’t have the body for that. I caught the train.

I was happy with my room as it had the name Horatio Nelson as in the guy from the Battle of Trafalgar. I did find some things not working like the main light in the bathroom, but the light above the mirror worked. I did let them know later on. Hopefully it is only the fuse, but it is a roof over my head and will see what happens over the next couple of days. I sorted out the rest of my cards ad made sure to sort out their alternative location too. Apparently they completely change the bedding after two days. I will believe that when I see it, although it doesn’t bother me if they do or don’t. The first place I headed to, was the post office to post something home. It would at least be a start and be a parade when I get home of things. I even was lucky enough to get the same guy to serve me who gave me my cards. I took a walk and found the dinosaur museum, well I was specifically looking for it and since I was late in the day I spent until nearly closing time there. I could have gotten entry to the other museums in town as well. The museum went through the history of fossil hunting and even included some that had been found in Dorset and others that were found overseas. The museum didn’t just include dinosaurs they included other animals like tusks from mammoths and teeth from sabre tooth tigers. I went to walk out and the door had been shut. I was literally locked in the museum. I was let out and with a smile I said that it was some people’s fantasy to be locked in a museum. The lady forgot that I was still there.

After the museum I went looking at some of the sites that might be of interest and on my handy map it told me that there was a Hangman’s collage, although that was really a thatched roofed house that said Hangmans cottage. An old prison was nearby so that would explain why. I went for a walk down a random track before turning back and heading towards something that was sign posted was a Roman house. Turns out a Roman house had been found before World War 2 and included mosaic floors. There were other remains around it as well. There was once an audio tour, but that was no longer available. I walked around the building as they had put a cover over the whole thing to protect it from the weather, which was pretty good. It was starting to get late and I wanted to see the only bit of Roman Wall that is in Dorchester even though there are other Roman things in the area. I found the wall and it was part of a garden with a fence around it.

After my wandering I went back to the pub and had a meal while trying to figure out what to do the next day. I soon found I might want to change my plans around as Friday there is a tank fest on at the tank museum that I could be interested in going to instead of tomorrow. Its a whole weekend thing so might be worth catching. That would mean tomorrow, I end up in Weymouth. Just watch this space to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment