Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Wandering Boots tour: Day 30 Archives and Castles



By the numbers

13,074 steps
9.5kms

Today is my second day in Newcastle and that meant I had set it aside for the archives in Newcastle by the name of Tyne and Wear Archives located in the Discovery centre within Newcastle and I also have a pass to pick up for the English heritage sites, which means I will have one part of my journey sorted. I needed breakfast and I had time before visiting the Archives, so that meant, I had one thing I needed to do and that was to ring up about the money that went missing last week from my bank account. When I did ring, they scared the hell out of me as their system was slow in loading my details and it wasn’t early morning over in Australia, it was afternoon. The bank were able to help and passed me onto the fraud section who was a touch hard to hear due to the Indian Accent, but I got the crap scared out of me again when he wanted some details on my accounts and once I mentioned the very specific name of an account the guy was satisfied. I didn’t want to lose all accounts or somehow cancel my credit card. Not sure if anyone gets the concept that my wallet was stolen with cards and the two disputed transactions were not me after my wallet was stolen in Paris. The original guy several days ago really understood the problems as he had something similar happen in Thailand.

Once that call was over, I had heaps of time before leaving for the archives and I plodded along there to see what will happen. I was actually outside the archives with 10 mins before opening and then I spotted the two classes of children walking in opposite directions towards the museum. I let out a quiet expletive while admiring the single files going inside the building. I walked into the museum once it opened and got stuck with the books as there were a few there especially on the history of Newcastle. I couldn’t stick around there with not enough money on me for books. I found the Archives and I had to put my bag into a locker, buy I had forgotten my pencil and pas as well, so I had to rely on a new pencil and the sheets of paper that I already had with my research. I found that I could take photos of records, but it would be costly. If I had more than two at the time, then sure, but anything further then I might not find that it would be worth the time. The records I was after, I found pretty easily as I was after the registration of going into an Industrial school for basically naughty kids and neglected ones too. I found that William Tynemouth had been placed into ‘care’ for not going to school and at 12 years old, he would be there until he was around 16. The record told of his home state, where his siblings were located and worked. It was great when the locations were listed including an employer’s name. There were other records that included newspaper articles about robberies in 1910 from kids at the age of 8. All this came about from looking at the 1911 census. I have gotten further than that with original records now. The discharge register was the same, but added his occupation and included inspections from the school right until he was 19 and enlisted for WW1. He was a bands person and I had glanced at that information in the Alnwick castle Museum. Hopefully with more detail that what I had before, I might be able to get some of his life in the military. He must have thought much of whoever handled the register as he had sent them postcards. Since the record book I was using included dates that were under the 100 year mark, the staff had bound that part of the book with string, so I would not go past that point. I can respect that if my people were not beyond that period.

By the time I had finished writing things out, I had been given some books to read, which I wrote down details. I had another place to be as I needed to pick up my Heritage pass for my trip as it would take me right until I was in London. The one place that I knew, I could pick it up from was the Tynemouth Priory and Castle in the Tynemouth area. It used to be a priory where monks used to live and then there were attacks from Scotland and other kings along the way. The building was a fortress and used during World War 2, although there was some damage during bombing raids. Much of the remains are still there and can be walked around. I needed to get a tram over that way and I somehow ended up going the long way round, but I was happy to do that. I even got a day pass as the system said it was cheaper than getting a return. I think a return would mean that I have to return to the same station, which might not be a good thing if you get stuck on a train. I was planning on visiting Wallsend as well after Tynemouth. I found the castle pretty quickly from the Metro station and it had turned out to be a nice warm afternoon. Apparently the next day isn’t meant to be that crash hot, but I will be in the Archives when that happens.. I wandered the whole complex enjoying the nice weather as it has been really the first decent sunny day that I had not needed my jumper at all. For the entire day. It was pretty funny telling them I had last been at that site around 10 years ago. I think they were impressed and I don’t think things have changed since I was here last.

By the time I finished my wanderings around the heritage site, I looked at the time and realised that I was running out of time as nothing would be open and it took at least half hour to get to the station on my side on Newcastle. I could walk, but that would be 2 hours and I am not that crazy. The train was late anyway and I jumped onto it thinking I would be stuck at a stop further on, but it stopped at a station, I could get off that was closer than I had thought. I originally wanted to visit Wallsend for the Roman ruins, but that hasn’t worked out. I wanted to get back, so I could have a decent meal and relax. I think I have been taking it easy over the last couple of days. I know I have a train to catch early in the morning to Durham archive centre and see what I come across there as there are some records I am looking for, although newspapers would be the one that I want to be looking at. Weatherwise I will see what happens as I will know if its wet when I have breakfast. I did have a meat pie and chips for lunch, so that is something I have not had for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment