Thursday, June 27, 2019

Wandering Boots Tour: Day 39 Sunny day in Lyme Regis




By the numbers
12.916 steps
9.53 kms

I was still feeling the after effects of the day before from getting sunburnt in England of all places. I got too much sun yesterday and I was kind of paying for it today. I felt alright, but I didn’t want to walk too much in the sun. I got up early enough to catch the second bus into Bridport, which would take me into Beaminster. I caught the bus from the train station as it was the easiest place to get it and got myself a day pass as I thought I would be getting on and off the bus. I even had the bus timetables in my phone so I would know when to catch the next bus or wait for it. The best part it I also watch Google maps to make sure I am getting off at the correct spot or else I would become stuck.

Once I arrived into Bridport, I realised I had gotten off one stop too early even though it was not far from the actual stop and the tag did have the numbers of the bus’ that stopped there. I had around 10 mins before the next bus came along, which was the Beaminster one. On the way I did see a sign saying 6 miles and I have to keep thinking that is not kilometres and something like that would be a touch too much especially when I am already sunburnt. The arrival into Beaminster had me walking around some of it. The reason I was visiting the village, was family had come from the village. I was hoping to visit the museum. I had half hour or so before the museum opened and I found the location and of the loos as well, which I would need. The bus timetables had an extra service that I never had on my online guide, which I was happy about.The problem with being in Beaminster on this particular day was there happened to be a festival on and the museum from the way I read the info board was that it did not open until around 2pm. I am guessing that was a festival thing as they have other things on at 10.30am. I did wait until well after the time and even tried the door. I could have stuck around all day, but there are a limited bus service and not an area I would really want to get caught in, which includes the other bus services too.

The little hiccup in my plan to visit the museum again was exactly like last time, but I also wanted to visit Lyme Regis. I was annoyed with myself that I should have made 100% certain that it would be open. Some of my problem I think was the heat as in not the Aussie summer heat, but the sunburn that I already had. I did want to have an easy day and the bus did take me back to Bridport. The next bus was actually late and I was beginning to wonder if it left from elsewhere until it arrived around half hour later. The bus did seem to take a while to get into Lyme Regis. As soon as I arrived, I knew what I wanted and that was what you do have at the beach. Fish and Chips, although it was a cod. I found a shady area under a wall as I really wasn’t liking the sun at the moment and needed shade. The seagulls didn’t like my idea as they sat there wanting my food, but there was a wall at my back  It was in the shade, but I was happy. The one museum I wanted to look at was the fossil museum. Lets say I was impressed when I walked into the museum as I had never seen that many fossils in the same area. They were actually a private collection as the owner is a palaeontologist. There is advice about collecting in certain places especially when you can only do so with the tides and if you need rescuing then the life boats will be a bit rude, which is also obvious. Several of the collection of fossils were from China and there was even dinosaur poo. It wasn’t a huge museum, but there was plenty there to see .

I stayed at the museum for a little while and looking at the collection. The shop had fossils for sale and while it would be cool to have something like that, I think it might not be good for my bag in going home on the plane. I did follow the river, which was like a canal, but one side of the path there was a huge drop off and the other side was a stream. They had somehow split a stream, but it could be something to do with the local mill that was now functioning again. I headed for the bus stop as I thought I had done enough for one day and I will say its an easy day. The bus did come though I was happy to wait for it in the shade of the bus stop as I think it was hotter than the day before. The bus was at least air-conditioned and seemed to take a while in getting back to Dorchester, but it was a nice afternoon to get back to town. The only real problem with doing anything online on my computer is that I have to move closer to the pub to use their wifi as it doesn’t reach the room. I did have to hand wash one shirt, which I wore yesterday as I think it would stink to high hell with sweat. Luckily I wont need to wash until Monday when I end up in Canterbury. There isn’t washing facilities where I am and they all seem to be dry cleaners.

Tomorrow I go to a tank fest that is at the tank museum, which means I will get plenty of things to see including talks and displays. Hopefully they understand that I cannot print off my emailed ticket or I get sent away.

No comments:

Post a Comment