Saturday, June 15, 2019

Wandering Boots tour: Day 27 Wandering Stirling



By the numbers
23922 steps
16.76 kms
Today was the day that I would visit Stirling and I was happy to be going somewhere even though for some reason I have felt shocky all day and sort of afraid of large crowds near the train station. I thought it might be a nice day in Stirling as the weather seemed to be nice in Edinburgh. I had breakfast before leaving for the station. I was happy to find the train sitting there waiting for me as I had arrived a couple of minutes earlier. Seems that Waverley station in Edinburgh that I am staying near to is the terminus as it was going further into Scotland somewhere. There was no problem when I got on and I was happy to read my book and use the free wifi that Scotland rail has. I wasn’t expecting that at all, but I think I should have.

I was looking at the weather when we stopped at the Bridge of Allan station and realised it was just that. There was no real shelter at all unlike Stirling station, that I had passed on the way. This was actually just a platform and that was it. A bus shelter that held a ticket machine, was it. The weather actually looked like it was ready to pour down, but once I got walking I was alright even though it was a touch chilly. I was using my phone as a guide top the National Wallace monument and soon found the map wanted to take me off the footpath and onto a road without a footpath. I decided to find another way and a cyclist tinkling scared the crap out of me as I squinted at my map. Yeah looks like I am looking at Facebook, but I could have stopped him and asked. I found a better path that avoided where the Google map was sending me. I actually got to the bottom of the monument trail with 10 mins before it opened. I thought the bottom you had to buy the tickets before going anywhere, besides there were two things I wanted a loo and a coffee. Both I received when they opened.

I did learnt that I could have gotten the tower ticket up the top, but I wasn’t worried about it as there wasn’t anywhere to eat up there anyway. You had two choices get a curtesy bus or walk. I chose to walk as I wanted to do that. Along the way there were info panels that told you about the area like how ancient whale bones were discovered or when they were building the monument they used local stone, but used trains to get it up the hill. There was another 200+ stairs to the top, but at least there were floors you could stop on with information. Turns out there was one floor that had a video playing about the battle of Stirling Bridge involving William Wallace. His sword is actually there. He even travelled to Europe, which I don’t think the Mel Gibson movie told you about. Another floor had busts of famous Scottish people including Robert Burns, Sir David Livingstone, Robert the Bruce and several others including Mr Watt, who apparently invented the reflective glass for lighthouses unless I am getting him muddled up, but it was a Scottish invention and why there was a lighthouse light in the Scotland Museum. The other floor was for the actual location of the battle and the myths behind it. The upper level happened to be the top. The views by this time were spectacular as the sun had come out. I stayed up there for a little bit before heading down the same way. There is only one set of stairs up and down. They were narrow and would not be fun if you fell. I did meet people going up when I was going down, but luckily they could step to one of the display floors. I went for a short walk back to the base camp after a quick bush walk. I stopped there for lunch before heading off.

I headed to the location where the Battle of Stirling Bridge was and I found it interesting, but I really needed the loo, so couldn’t stick around for very long. I hightailed it for the train station where I was relieved of my bowels that thunder clapped. I had to use the cafe loo as the station loos were behind the turnstyles and a bit far to reach. I had a coffee with me and I headed into Stirling proper as I was heading to the castle. I was wanting the cemetery as I heard that was worth seeing along with the back track or whatever they called the trail around the castle. I ended up walking past a youth hostel that was a church and the cemetery was still there. I should point out that if its a castle then it means it is uphill and this hill wasn’t easy to climb. I ended up taking my jumper off as it had gotten hot, but it was a cool breeze and I still was warm. I could see and feel the weather moving in so I decided not to see the castle, but have a look at the cemetery. The old kirkyard or cemetery had some really great views of the country side, I think better than what Waverley in Sydney has of the ocean. I decided to head down the hill as I wasn’t too sure about the weather when I was nearly down the bottom, the sky opened up and it started raining. I didn’t get too wet as I had my brolly, but I was happy to get onto the train back to Edinburgh.

I was happy to be back in Edinburgh as I made my way back to the hostel. I decided to have a seat and read a book in the kitchen / lounge area. I was that close to the finish of my book that it was not funny. I did finish it and then had a shower with the plan to visit the pub downstairs. Once showered, I decided to walk to Calton Hill as I wondered what was there. I ended up going another few stairs to find the Nelson monument was actually a tower with a timeball, but as the area fogs up a bit there was need for the gun to go off at one. The hill also has an observatory with some really good views of the surrounding area. I really needed that as I don’t think I have been that far in Edinburgh. I turned around and headed back to the hostel, where I had dinner at the pub. I did end up with Haggis that had mash potato and mash turnip, so I can at least say I have done that one. I even posted pictures as proof that I ate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment