Saturday, June 8, 2019

Wandering Boots Tour: Day 20 blowing around Flanders



By the numbers
On foot
15545 steps
11.63kms
On Bike
27.2 kms

The night was raining and pouring at several intervals. I had gotten really tired after returning from the Menin Gate and the Last Post. I did however want to look up information about bike routes, but I did not get far as I was wanting to hit the land of nod as I had been up too late already or was it early.. Since breakfast was at 830am, which I honestly thought was late it actually allowed me to sleep in a touch before keeping an eye on the weather before leaving. I was still unsure over the rain and now the wind.

Deciding just to leave as I didn’t really have a plan apart from heading toward Tyne Cot Cemetery, one of the most well known ones in the area. The first Step was Hellfire Pass a very dangerous section of the British lines as supplies had to pass through and shells would be lobbed and explode within the area.I was really uncomfortable riding through the area on the road as I kept thinking I was riding the wrong side of the road. I did find a track early on that took me away from the road, but once I hit the roundabout that was Hellfire Pass, I had to use a path that was dedicated tro me. I decided to ride against the flow of traffic as I wanted to see what was coming to me. I crossed the road after coming across a moped in the path coming to me. That was a good idea to change sides and then it did seem easier, but I was afraid cars would be attracted to me.

I arrived in the town of Zonnebeke where I passed a sign for Polygon Wood. I thought I really should stop and have a look at that, but pushed myself to keep heading for my first destination of Tyne Cot. The best thing was my map knew I was on a biike and I was following the blue lane to where I needed to go. I had bought my phone holder with me from home as I knew I would need that especially today. It helped a bit. I took some roads to Tyne Cot Cemetery and then it decided it wanted to rain a little bit. I raced for a building that was all about the Tyne Cot Cemetery and how it was formed. It had been part of the front lines during World War One that included two German pill boxes amogst the graves. When they talk about the iron hsarvest, they are usually talking about the unexploded explosives that they keep coming across especially sionce the bombs didn’t all explode. The cemetery does have a loo, but it costs you. I put a coin in and was too slow with the turnstyle as it locked. I had to do so again and do it much quicker. It was funny watching people later on trying to find the exit and that was the same way you came in. When I walked the cemetery, there were a few others there too, but it was also blowing a gale and on and off there was rain. I found the family member I was looking for quite easily and I was happy to give a copy to my grandfather there and then. I had the data on my phone to do something like that and did it I did. I wasn’t going to wait until later on. My phone’s storage card is slowly filling up with all the photos that I have been taking. Luckily, I have been storing them on an external drive, but I am thinking that I might need to look for a larger storasge card. When I pulled up there were motorcyclists leaving and when I left there were some who had arrived,  They seem to have actual trikes. I have no idea what type as I am not going near to find out.

On leaving the cemetery satisfied with what I had found, I set my map to do its thing and the surprising part was it found a bike track back into Zonnebeke. I looked at my msap and had to turn around as there was something I wanted to look at. I came across a sign that spoke about a man being found near the remains of a railway line. They had the train line showing and /I had thought at first it was part of the trench system. I kept on stopping at these signs the entire way as they told a little bit about the battle in the area  regarding the Australian infantry. I did come across a bunker that was a German First Aid post. That backed onto some business that had many tyres waiting to be recycled or dumped. It decided to bucket it down just as I reached town and the funny part was that I found a bike shelter that sheltered me from the rain. I should point out that I wasn’t using my field guide as I did not want it to get sopping wet as then that would be a bad thing to return home. Nearby was the Passchendaele Park that I know had a New Zealand monument. I wanted to see the monument, which I did and at the same time used the loo..

I chose now to visit Polygon Wood Cemetery as that was one place the Australian soldiers fought and was a forest or was at that time. Now it is forest again, but does seem to be one of those one lane roads where people have to wait for you to pass. I had trouble getting out of the park trying to follow the arrow as there was a path that said to Polygon Wood, but the map didn’t want any of that so I had to go by the road, which wasn’t too bad as I passed a path again on my way to Polygon Wood where I was trying to peddle against the wind. Like I was happy about that as I was getting tired legs and could feel the burn. Each time I moved the bike somewhere after getting off I would bash the peddle against my leg just below the knee. I found the Butts New British Cemetery and the Polygon Wood cemetery as they were right across each other, but the map was taking me into the bush. I didn’t go in there for a reason as I didn’t want to get something in my tyres and I was actually running out of time.

I wasn’t sure where I wanted to go after that as I could have taken the path back to Ypres and to the Canadian War memorial, but I kind of wanted to get away from the windy weather and the possible rain that could hit again. I decided that I could head out to the Hooge Crater Cemetery. One reason for heading here was that within the New Zealand diaries for the artillery was that the HQ was being moved to both Hooge Crater which is in the area and also at the Birr Cross roads, both are in the same area that I had originally wanted to ride to. Getting there took maximum effort as it ended up being slow as I was against the wind all the way and went down some weird side roads that took me out just before the museum, but actually near a theme park that I didn’t know was there. At one stage I had to stop as it started raining and I had to get my wet gear on, but I think I was slow with that as I was damp. I did find a cafe called the ANZAC Rest, but I kept on going. I stopped in front of the Hooge Crater museum even though it was one on the list I wanted to see, I just didn’t have the time or energy. I didn’t have lunch as I had a huge breakfast, but now it was mid afternoon, it was starting. I had a look at the cemetery, before riding away towards Ypres after a route reset.

 I was now heading back to the town via the Menin Gate. I did have no problems crossing the road at Hellfire Pass like I panicked over earlier in the day. Cars seem to stop for riders unlike at home where you would get abused. After Hell Fire Pass I had enough of riding against the wind so walked a little bit and then seen several cemeteries as I went past. I wanted to visit them including the town cemetery, but I thought I had done enough for one day. I got to a familiar area where I ended up walking the bike the half a km back to the bike shop. They were happy to see me and asked if I had any problems. I told the lady only the weather and her reply was I cant fix that. I will use the Bike Bar again when I am here. I ended up back in my room and had a shower, though I did have a feed not long after I left the bike at its home. I ended up back at the Last post at 8pm, but even half hour before starting there was a crowd. I would hate to think that started an hour before and I had the spot right next to where all the wreath bearers would walk out so there wasn’t too much to see. There was a choir singing tonight, so there must be something different happening each night, which is good. I don’t know if its because of the Dday stuff that everything is busy, but I do know I will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment