Sunday, June 23, 2019

Wandering Boots Tour: Day 35 Delayed train to Cardiff




By the numbers
3 Trains
13,808 steps
10.51 kms

The night before I had to put my belongings away into the locker under the bed. I was on the top bunk and some guy was on the bottom. I had trouble putting the locxker out as it was like a mini truble bed. The weight of the person on top meant the locker grabbed. It made a huge noise and scared the crap out of the sleeping man on the bed. He literally jumped, but never said a word. He was gone by the time I got up around 7am. I had breakfast that you were asked to donate a coin to charity. I gave a couple of coins as it was towards youth homelessness a place called Sash. I was moving on today to Cardiff for a day as I was going to use that as a base to hop onto Dorchester the next leg of the journey. I had toast, which I wanted with coffee before heading off.

I was happy to be on the train as I would go from York to Birmingham, where I would get another train to Cardiff. Both trains would be 2 hours each and would take up most of my day. They included refreshment service so I could get a drink or something to eat on the train. I even had the arrival and departure of the train in my phone so that I could track what was happening. I even had free wifi, so was using that, although some things were restricted to look at.  I got a drink from the food service and learnt that there was a sugar tax. I asked the lady if I blame Jamie OliverI arrived at the Birmingham station at the same platform I was meant to get the other train, so I waited. That train arrived on time and as soon as I sat down there was a problem. First my trusty guide said the train was delayed in leaving the station. Then the driver came along and told us the train was now cancelled as the train had issues. We had to catch the next train leaving 40 mins later to Cardiff. I was told by one of the staff that I could wait on that platform and not go by the guide that I had even though it was live departures and arrivals. Some reason I had the shakes, but I think that was a little stress there. Could also because I picked my bag up and carried it out on my shoulder like a sack. The next train came and I had the dread like Paris with the crowds and I had moved my wallet and phone to safe places just in case. The same employee was on platform 12 and he did recognise me when I asked if I could sit in any seat. I jumped onto the train pretty quickly and found a free seat. I arrived in Cardiff an hour later, but at least I arrived.

Once I got out of the train, I found it was raining. I put on my bag cover as I really did not want my books to get wet or anything else for that matter. U had my brolly too that I kept rain off me and headed to the hostel. I think this one was in a different location from the last one. I just cant remember as I only stayed there one night. Could have been closer, but I ended up being on the wrong side of the road after a 10 min walk and had to double back a little bit and go into the hostel another way. It wasn’t that bad, but I did get into the YHA and it had stopped raining. I sorted myself out before getting a pizza and going to Cardiff castle a little way away. I wanted to walk off the pizza and I had ran out of time to visit the museum due to a late train, but all in all I got to where I was going without any huge problems I even picked up my train ticket for several days time without a drama. I didn’t want to be out for too long or late as there seemed to be quite a few homeless on the streets asking for money every couple of metres including asking people at the pub. I think I am just more aware of people around me. I do think I will visit the castle tomorrow, but hunt down some movie locations too.

No comments:

Post a Comment