Friday, June 14, 2019

Wandering Boots tour: Day 26 Wandering Edinburgh



By the numbers
22,256 steps
16.1 kms
I started my day with some breakfast that included scrambled egg and toast that would keep me going for some time. On thing I did get sorted out before, I went anywhere was the credit card now being linked with my debit account, although I have to find a machine that will give me the option of withdrawing from my account. It is much fun trying to do things on a time frame when call centres in Australia close and it is morning here. I managed to get the card sorted out, but not the two fraudulent transactions as the phone disconnected a minute before the call centres closed. I am glad that I can go through my phone banking and do it that way as the call centre has my details already, which is a relief. I had that same reaction when giving the details to the travel card people and I was gob smacked when he told me I passed. That is one thing that is sorted, I just have to figure out the next step when the cards come available.

Once I got off the phone and also wondering if I was calling through wifi or the credit, which hasn’t moved, I headed off to get my ticket for Edinburgh Castle as that finished at 11am as I had a 3 hour time window. 20 mins before time was up, I got my ticket and entry into the castle. There is so much in the way of road works going on in Edinburgh that its not funny. I managed to find myself on a half hour tour where we were shown the highlights of the castle from where James 1 was born in the apartments to the view. The whole complex has been rebuilt as it had been destroyed once or twice before. Royalty don’t live at the castle as they prefer the palace at the bottom, hence the name the Royal mile. Although I was later than my usual time, I explored some of the castle including waiting for the one o’clock gun that fired. The crowds seemed to get bigger as the afternoon began and I decided to move on especially after I had some whisky tasting and a new wallet bought that will support the Scottish regiment museum. They were setting up stands out the front as during summer they play live music and all that to entertain the people. I thought it was interesting that the oldest building was a church that didn’t get destroyed and it was small.

After a lunch of haggis sausage at the Castle cafe, I headed to the Moonstruck exhibition. That was meant to be about the history of Asylums by the college of Surgeons. I was actually expecting something more informative than what I had seen. That is unless they were limited for space in the building. There was basic information and I lasted 10 mins looking for more about the history, but there wasn’t. For a beginners guide it would do. I then headed for Greyfriers Kirkyard, a cemetery that was meant to be inspiration for JK Rowling, but more known for Bobby the dog who visited the owners grave. I was surprised they were doing tours as I didn’t expect that. There was a closed off section where prisoners of war were kept, but I don’t know the history, but it didn’t sound very good at all. They even had an example of the bars over graves that was used when there were grave robbers who would take the bodies so that the universities could use them. I had never seen one of those before now in person. From there I ended up in the Scotland Museum where I needed to use a loo, so went for a wander. They had several engines including a beamish engine that was an early engine made by a guy called Watt. Notthat I can remember his full name. The museum, I didn’t stick around for long as I had a show booked that I wanted to see.

The Show was Horrible Histories and that was about the Tudors, I had enough time to head back to the hostel, have a shower and then go back out. It took half an hour to get to the theatre and while it was a kids show I enjoyed myself. It was a three person act that they went over what the Tudors did like King Henry’s wives. They did get the kids and some adults to interact with the show, which I thought was great. Once it finished, I took off as I needed the loo and I wanted to get back before it got dark. That wasn’t a problem and then I found when I went to get my train ticket, I needed the card I purchased it with. I no longer have that and the offices were shut. I am going to Stirling in the morning and that will be pretty good. I will keep an eye on the other tickets and sort them out properly if I can only collect them. Easy to do though.

No comments:

Post a Comment