Saturday, November 4, 2017

South to North tour: Day 6 Wellington Library Day




By the numbers
300+ photos of records
7.71kms
11,194 steps
1 library

I started off listening to the wind howl by the building again, but it sounded quite a bit stronger than it had been the day before. Wellington lives up to its name for sure, but today there was no rain, which I am happy about. Could be worse though and I was ready to get going. I had some breakfast at the hostel as it cooks food up for you and it is filling especially when you are doing things where you might not get some lunch at all or stop for it. I did ask quickly about vacating my room, although I have plans to be elsewhere in the morning and afternoon so it might be a bit hard to check in until after I get back.

I headed for the National library where I knew I would be able to get hold of some records that the national Archives did not have, although I never knew if they would be useful for my studies and research. I probably still don’t know, but we shall see. Thinking the library was on the same street at the Archives, I ended up outside of the Embassy of Fiji wondering if I had gone too far and walked towards the parliament buildings where I realised I had misplaced the whole building. I had not been inside the library before and today was my first time of all the visits I have ever had to Wellington this was the closes place to any that I should have been to. A church was across the road and the Rugby building was next door. There were a few exhibitions on including on about three important NZ documents that I knew about being the 1835 declaration of independence, the 1840 Treaty and the Suffrage petition for womens voting rights in 1893.

I had to wait around for 10am to pass before I could be allowed in the research centre and I asked the girl at the counter about what I was and wasn’t allowed to take in with me to the Alexander Turnbull research room. She had no idea, which was fine with me. I had a coffee before going back up and walking in when the area opened. I had one record on hold and after locking up a computer I was shown how to order some records. The archival stuff would appear around 1pm and I had missed one small step. I had not hit request record now and would have still have been waiting if I had not been shown. I was shown how to order journals properly as I had to search for the actual journal and then find the year and number. Once I understood that then it was easy. I was using my phone to take copies as I had said it would be cheaper on the pocket. I found several other books that would be helpful.

Wondering where the records I had ordered that never turned up at 130pm were, I decided to have lunch, which was a coffee and a brownie. A Hungi meal that I had to heat up myself was around $15 and what I got was under $10. I checked my emails to see if I had missed something and then I went back upstairs. I asked the obvious question and logged into the system at the librarians computer. I found I had to be in the room behind the lady that was sealed off as thats where the archival type records are. Also my bag had to go into a locker. I was still able to use my phone to make copies and take in a charger I was getting closer to 5pm and I had my files looked at and I could only have two of the archival records at a time and sign for them. I was able to leave the room and I had explained why I was unsure about where to go. I did find some more books that might aid in the search for my assignment, but even if they do not really, it has been a good exercise in learning the difference between the two research areas.

After I left I as heading back to the hostel to leave my bag of tricks in the locker while I wandered around before getting something to eat. On the way I headed through the Parliament buildings and wondered about some nice cars I seen. I soon found it was a wedding getting photographed as I had nearly asked if it was some sort of photoshoot. Heading back to the room, I dropped my stuff off and headed out towards the museum, where I seen two navy ships docked on the wharf. I went in that direction and found they were not guarded, but I could wander alongside, but I didn’t dare board them. I noticed a few well dressed people heading somewhere and on my way back, I found there was some sort of concert in the hall. I stood outside while watching the wind try and blow the rails down. They did move in the wind it was that strong. I walked back against the wind and I was like hovering in one place for a couple of secs with the gusts hitting me. As it grew dark it sounded like it was getting stronger. I knew I needed to sort out my gear as I would be shifting rooms and didn’t want to shift everything early in the morning. I don’t even know if I would have to use a locker or there would be a special room I can store my bags. We shall soon find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment