Friday, November 3, 2017

South to North tour Day 5 Wellington archive rat





By the numbers
8.54kms
12,396 steps
31 or so records
4 books
1 locker at the Archives that I remembered the number for this time and my password

I woke up feeling considerably better after last night. I could hear Windy Wellington put up a show outside and looked out a window. It was not only windy, but it was also a wet day too. A great day to end up researching within the archives looking for records that I wanted. I think some people in my room were already gone an d doing their own thing. I was still wondering why there were no lockers in the room to lock my gear up. I went downstairs and came back up, right in front of my eyes were closet doors with a sign marked lockers. I was feeling better then and put my valuables in there.

I made my way to the archives trying to brave the cold blustery weather with enough equipment on my person to satisfy the archives. I had my laptop, phone, mouse, powercords and my external hard drive. While inside I had the extras in my pockets. I tend to have big pockets for a reason and I couldn’t carry everything. I was hoping to have some order to the records I wanted as there would be several ordered at a time and arriving by the time I picked up two lots. Some I found actually take an hour to be accessed. I thought while waiting for one lot I would transfer what I had already from my phone to the computer. I ended up filling my computer space. So what I ended up doing was transferring direct to my external storage. I ended up going to lunch as I couldn’t wait any longer for records. I had cake and a coffee before going back in for round 2. I had to pack my stuff up and I only really had my computer and folder in my hands as everything else were in my pockets. I didn’t realise it was around 4pm and told the girl I would be back on Monday for the rest. I ended up looking, well copying 31 or so records and several I ordered last were actually family history ones that I had accidentally put into the mix of files. I was marking everything off once I had received the record from my list.  

I decided the time was good to go bookshop hunting and I wanted the university bookshop first as it was going to close at 5pm. I thought it would be a great idea to get the tram up the top of the hill and walk down to the university. I made it there with enough time and had help from a local uni girl who told me the way. Told me it was better to go from the inside due to the wind. I found several books that were interesting and I wandered down the hill via the cemetery, although not the best idea to try and walk through a wet cemetery as I was slipping down the hill a little bit and had to firm my footing. I knew of another bookshop called Arty Bees that always has great books of NZ interest and I wanted to see what they had. I ended up with another two, and unable to do up my raincoat due to the books in my backpack. I was wearing the coat over my bag to keep it dry. I seemed to have done a bit of walking even though I wasn’t trying at all. If it had been a nice day then I might have taken my time.

 I wanted to get back to the hostel before it became too late and cold as I think the wind would have a chill factor later at night or close to dark. It wasn’t that big of a day, but I would have another day like that on Saturday this time in the library to see how I go. I think half the records I want to look at I can only do so in person. I have never been in the National Library before and it will be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment