Sunday, November 5, 2017

South to North Day 8 More Wellington Archives




By the numbers
5.9kms
8,562 steps

I woke early to the sound of silence as I could no longer hear the wind blowing outside, which was a great change for everything. I wandered downstairs to see if I could stay in the room or if I had to move. I am keeping my trusty towel that I have a deposit on and would be $30 with the key deposit that I get back on Wednesday. I found I could change rooms so up I went again to gather my bags. I was only the next floor up and I took the lift. The room was vacant, but I was happy to be the first and I was ready to go after I made the bed I wanted and marked my territory with a made bed. I took back a pillow case and my old card before heading off for food and research.

I made my way down to the Archives that opened at 9am, which I was happy about as I was going to spend some time here. Before going in, I wandered next door to the old St. Pauls church and walked around it to see if there was a cemetery behind it. There wasn’t one, but at least I know now by walking the grounds of an old church that was made out of native timbers. I think I will need another day to go over my stuff on the list, but I did work that out and I had time in the Archives to go over extra stuff from the Library, which I ordered too. Luckily I had access to the CBD Wifi that I used to order this stuff. I ate a brownie for lunch with my coffee while waiting for records to arrive.

I kept the records coming as the day tuned to afternoon and it was around 430pm that I thought I better leave the last lot of records for the next day as I have a smaller list than I had started. I did order one map and it was bigger than the table. I unfolded half and started sweating as I seen the side of it. It was fragile and I had gloves too. I thought better and refolded it carefully and returned it. I don’t think I need access to a map that badly. Not even sure if t would be helpful either. I just didn’t want to tear something that was from the 1860s. I only really have the library an the Archives to finish off tomorrow and that was actually the plan to have the extra day to get everything done. It was funny when I headed back to my room as there were now people in there and I wasn’t the only one who had to be moved around. There is some event on which meant people to be moved several times to different rooms. One lo had only been told in the afternoon once they returned. I was lucky as I still had my bed sorted and the Irish couple have to move again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment