Wednesday, November 8, 2017

South to North tour Day 10 Wellington to Hamilton





By the numbers
4.44kms
6,262 steps
1 bus

Today was the day that I would be heading to Hamilton and I was ready to leave Wellington. I had heard the wind that night, but not as bad as it had been. The bed had been uncomfortable and being on the top bunk it was made more annoying when someone touched the beds to do something there was a thud. Although then there was a snorer that I was annoyed with. The sleep had been broken due to the changes in the bed, but I had enough sleep. I was planning to go down to Maccas for breaky and then go back up, but I ended up going downstairs with everything to check out of the room. I did get my towel deposit and the key deposits back, which made me happy. Then I had some food and coffee before making my way to the train station for the bus even though I was early, but the driver was already there and it was a gold bus, which meant I had USB chargers at the seat.

I would be stuck on the bus the entire way to Hamilton and there was a bit of change to the weather as we came near to Bulls it was actually pouring, but made it to Waiouru and the weather was clearing to the point where we had no problems admiring the view of Mt Ruapehu from the Desert Highway that takes us to Taupo. It was interesting watching the scenery change especially when there was a storm the night before and the ocean from Wellington actually didn’t look nice at all, but I was happy to be on the road this time around. We did have stops where we had to use the loo, although I am not sure if I used the correct loos in Taupo, but I ran down to the superloo where I had to pay and I ran back. I didn’t want to miss the bus. When we stopped in Rotorua, we had half hour and they were doing renovations to the building that was the Information centre. There seemed to be other things going on as well.

Not much happened on the bus other than changing weather and all that. I was happy once I made my way into Hamilton where I would be until Saturday. I knew where I was going, but I wasn’t sure if my booking through a booking website was going to be fully legit. It turns out that it actually was and I was welcomed into my room in the hotel. I was looking forward to having a decent bed and a whole room to myself that I can spread out in. The card to enter the door has a series of holes where you put it into the door and then it opens. I thought this was cool and I have two towels. I do have internet too, which is even better. I am right across the road from the Riff Raff statue from Time Warp. I was going to go into the hostels, but I looked at the reviews and decided against it for both and I had been into the Microtel one before too. I prefer being closer to everything within the town as then I can get to everything with no real problem. I am close to food without having to head to other parts of Hamilton if I don’t have to. I did take a walk to see what there was around and to get some food. I get to watch my own TV for the first time since I came to NZ as I had not actually sat down and watch anything at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment