Saturday, November 18, 2017

South to North tour: Day 20 Wandering Newmarket





By the numbers
16.26kms
23,593 steps

I think I am annoying people when I get up early enough to use the loo as I got a death stare from a red haired girl in the bed near the door when I walk in. Though I should feel sorry for the guy who has my smelly shoes right underneath his head. Thats where the steps are so I put them there to make sure they are alright and so I can have easy access. I wasn’t sure if the weather was going to be good or not when I got up. When I looked out there was a bit of cloud, which meant that the weather could be cool and maybe wet. I knew I shouldn’t take chances and wear a jumper as well to keep warm.

My plan was to visit the university library as I had some books to look at that could interest me. Then make my way to Newmarket and Parnell for the roses. I walked to the library collecting a Subway along the way to eat with a coffee. I had sparrows stalking me wanting to take food out from my watchful eye, although I seen where they had been lurking. Lurking right in the garbage bin looking for scraps. I had some time to read my book before going over to wait for the doors to open. I did not want to be the only one waiting. I should realise that this is a university as people were gathering outside waiting for the doors to open. I wandered in to look at the books and found a few that I already had on me and going through the sources of one book, I found I had those already. I think I have realised that I had a good list already. Maybe better than several libraries. I was happy so I left the library heading to the Grafton train station as a marker to head towards Newmarket. I was using it on Sunday to get the train as its closer than Britomart, plus they are working on the rail lines here this weekend so I cannot go on certain lines not stop at Britomart.

I walked to the other side of the Auckland domain, which houses the museum, where people in large numbers are playing several games of cricket. Then I followed the streets down to where the town of Newmarket was as I wanted to visit Highwic house as it is a historic house. I came across a cannon that had been on the North Head during the 1880 Russian Scare when people thought Russia was going to invade. It was now in a park behind the war memorial. I took a turn to have a look at the train station as I knew this was the stop I might need to use it later and I was surprised that it was in amongst some shops. The area had been sale yards in the early days, but I never seen any info about this at all. I might not have been in the right place. I didn’t know where I had to enter Highwic House, but I found myself in front of a shopping centre. I visited that as I needed some relief before going the extra walk to the house.

I walked into the entrance of Highwic expecting to pay $10 for the visit and found this weekend is their open weekend for Christmas. I was asked where I had heard about this open day and I replied that I had not as I had planned to visit anyway. There were dancers out the front and I had a look through their garden as they said they were trying to make it organic and have bees there to make it sustainable. The house was built in 1862 for Alfred Buckland who with his two wives had 21 kids all up. There were meant to be some stunning views of the harbour. The shop front in the house was packed with people and I could hardly move. Wandering the house itself was interesting especially with the different rooms and chamber pots. Alfred was well off especially with his business. Each room had a story to tell and there was a little museum that gave the history of Auckland for the family and their role. The house did have a link with the New Zealand Wars as the owner sold horses to the soldiers. The house would have been warm with all the windows.

After a little while at Highwic and a couple of things bought for my nephew for Christmas, I headed for Government house to see if they had an open day today too. I stopped for some lunch and then headed on the way. I ended up at the crossroads with one of the roads being the start of the Great South Road. Number 1 Great South Road was a Ferrari shop. How do I know that? I stopped as they were having a show and shine type day with the Ferrari club. Some decent cameras there being used. I headed down another street towards Mt Eden and Government house. I soon found it was not open and you couldnt see it because of all the trees around the fences. I came to some steps that went up and shook my head as I wasn’t wanting to climb up them to see the summit of that hill. Turning around I walked back into Newmarket where I thought I should walk towards Parnell. It was trying to rain and I didn’t want to get caught in anything that resembled rain. I needed to get back anyway as I had washing that needed to be done.

I jumped onto a bus that was going through to Parnell and never actually got off there as I couldnt remember where the rose garden actually was. I stayed on the bus until I ended up at the university, where I jumped off. I wasn’t far from the hostel where i had an early shower and put the washing on. During this time I found it had actually started raining and I had made the right decision in coming back. Plus you never know if the machines are in use or not. I was informed when i got change that people put the washing in the top machines, but they were the dryers. Deciding I had enough time to walk down to the shops to see a movie, I went to see if I did have time. It never took very long and I had 15 mins before going in. By the time I had gotten out it had actually been raining and was drizzling, but I got to the hostel without getting too wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment