Saturday, November 11, 2017

South to North tour: Day 13 Hamilton to Whangarei





By the numbers
2 bus’
3.8kms
5,517 steps

I got up early as I was heading off to Whangarei via Auckland and I wanted to get something to eat. I was expecting wet weather, but it was actually really dry. I was happy that it was not a wet day as it would not have been a fun day. I went for a walk thinking some shops would be open around 8am on a Saturday only to find there were more shops shut than I realised. I wasn’t interested in a pie for breakfast. The bakery that I had visited the day before had been closed so I returned to my room determined to get something from the bus station. I soon realised the bus station opened at 9am and I had 10 mins before it would open and the bus left at 930am. I looked at Burger King who I hoped was open and I found it was when I walked there. A small burger and chips were my breakfast before I headed back to wait for the bus.

I knew where my bus was going to, but I did not know where it originated from. Since the Hamilton bus shelter has internet access, I had a look and the bus was coming from Rotorua. The bus actually arrived 5 mins ahead of schedule and I was impressed by that. Someone actually turned up with a 4 litre container of milk. I have no idea where he got it from, but the driver wanted it in the bag bay as he reasoned it could explode on the bus and he did not want milk running down the aisle. I thought fair enough, although I do not know where he got off the bus. Some of the towns we passed were Ngaruawahia and Huntly, although I would like to visit Ngaruawahia some day, but unsure what it would be like at night let along during the day. The bus had working internet until we came to Papakura, where I found I had picked up the train station internet. I do not know why it stopped working, but I was not too worried as I was close to Auckland city.

We actually arrived on time in the city and I could see the construction going near the bus terminal for the train station that will open in a few years. Seem to be heaps going on at the moment. I had to catch another bus to Whangarei, but that wouldn’t be leaving til 1pm and I wanted food before I left anywhere. There seemed to be some strange people around and one guy who seemed to be on something tried walking in front of the bus at the Skycity terminal, but followed me into the loos once we had arrived. It sounded like he was sick in the loo anyway. I needed coffee and food, which I gratefully received and I camped out front of the bus listening to my music. Seemed quite a few people were happy to do the same. I was laughing at some lady who tried to enter the men’s loos behind an old fella. The wife to the old fella was horrified and stopped the lady from entering, while I stood a couple of metres away laughing into my coffee. The driver left us all waiting until he came back not long before 1pm and we all loaded out bags onto the bus. No one could enter until he checked our names off, which was pretty easy and chaotic at first with a bottle neck at the door.

Once things got going it was a pretty smooth trip, although I think we were on a new part of the highway as we went through a tunnel after the Harbour bridge. I do not remember it, but i was interesting and a few tolls along the way. No idea if you can avoid those at all. The bus didn’t take that long to get into Whangarei, but we did have an uneventful stop for a break along the way. I did see some sort of prang coming into Whangarei, but the police were sorting that out. The stop soon arrived and I found that Claude was waiting for me as I was staying with family. The first thing I really needed to do was some washing as I had a full load with me and I was lucky to have the last pair of clothes. At least I might smell a bit better than I have. I have no real plans in Whangarei apart for visiting a local second hand bookstore. I am here for three days before I head to Auckland for the second phase of my research to see if there is other stuff to find. I do not think I have much left to do since I am here. Usually I would have visited several other places by now. The whole trip could have been different as I wanted to head round to Franz Josef and Greymouth. Maybe another time for that sort of trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment