Sunday, November 19, 2017

South to North tour: Day 21 Waikumete to Parnell


By the numbers
21.78kms
1 coffee
31,614 steps
I knew the day might start a little slow as it had been wet the night before and I had been expecting that it could be the same as before. The weather was a bit wet and I was still happy to go out into the rain for my cemetery tour at Waikumete. I got dressed and headed out for a walk to Grafton station knowing I would get a good ride on the train. I was hoping to get a Subway along the way and found that it was actually closed, but a bakery was open and didn’t have coffee, but I needed food. I could try that later. Arriving at the station, I found I could get the earlier train before the one that I had picked to catch. I was happy and out of the rain for a little bit as well.  The train journey seemed to be quicker than I had expected it to be as I arrived in Glen Eden in what could be less than half hour. I wasn’t complaining at all.

Not knowing where the public loos were had me wondering and since I had an internet connection at the train station. I searched for public toilets in Glen Eden and left the map open for me to follow. There wasn’t a loo at the station, so I had to search. It wasn’t far as it was the next street over and I had spotted a coffee shop. I also spotted the magic words coffee and books. There was a bookshop that sold coffee, it was shut on a Sunday. Well played bookshop in Glen Eden, well played. I found a shop that sold coffee and missed a car with a number plate that read NO TIME. I went to get it and missed it. That was a cool number plate. Glen Eden seemed to have a bit of art work around of the area and I followed some of the art and even got told off by a random duck that had been hiding on a path. I wasn’t sure what the weather was going to do when I headed to the cemetery and I didnt know how many would turn up due to the wet weather.

Once I made my way to the cemetery, I realised it had been a while since I had been there and a gate they had at the end I was on had been upgraded instead of just a bar to stop cars. I did learn they had moved the train station, I don’t know when from out front of the cemetery just a little further down the road to its current position. Mainly as a reason to stop people damaging the headstones. The tour was about the children that had died, not all as it would have taken all day and no one could do that much research. The section in front of the Sextons cottage was the oldest part and included one little kid that had died and the father had made a brick fired headstone and there had been attempts for it to be removed, but never happened. I felt like I should have been to the open day the week before and I think I will make an effort next time to be in Auckland just for that as it sounded like a great day. The Friends of Waikumete were really good and informative. Even though there were only three of us that turned up that gave some good talks on some of the people and pointed out other stuff too like the pauper area was actually a section where trees were growing and grasses were also. Turns out there are people buried there and they just cant be found as there is no marker. People actually have picnics there as evidence has been seen. Some of the others included a murder suicide with strychnine a poison through one of the employees of the Yates farm as in the seeds of today. A mother gave some to herself and kids and only the son survived. Another had an illegal abortion, but never survived due to complications and there was an inquest. There were drowning as well called the New Zealand / Auckland disease I think it was called. There were others like Lottie a nurse who was at Gallipoli helping the wounded. She was on one of the ships and she was in the Gallipoli display in Te papa museum. Another was a soldier who fell off a bridge and had a huge funeral even though he had not died of war wounds. He had stepped back to let a train pass and fell off the bridge. People have some good stories.

By the time the tour had finished, the rain had stopped and the sun was trying to come out. The brolly and raincoat had been packed away. I decided I wanted to wander around to look for some family as I had wanted to update my photos. I tried to remember one in the Wesleyan section. I was actually one row off, which was pretty good for me. The cemetery I should point out is known for its wild flowers and other plants as people do point out that it isn’t being looked after, which isn’t actually true. Its a whole eco system to itself and the flowers look really nice. Once I decided it was time to leave it was because I wanted to be in Parnell for the rose festival and to see what was happening. Wandering over I knew I would miss the train and I actually did as I stepped on the platform and the train was leaving. I had half hour so I went to get lunch at a real bakery. No fingerbuns, but there were rolls with other goodies. I went back to the station and waited. The train wasn’t too far off anyway, which was good.

The train took me all the way into Newmarket where I had my trusty phone map ready for me to find my way into Parnell. Without it I would have had to get the bus. That would have been easy, but I wanted to wander and take a walk to see where I would end up. I took the path through the back streets thinking my map was wrong as I wanted to head through Newmarket Park. I came to some rail lines and wondered if I had to cross and then the park appeared right next to it. I went one way and the train line went the other. I popped out below Parnell and walked up the hill not wanting to take a track that I was unsure of. I ended up below the Holy Trinity Cathedral and actually went inside for a look. I was trying to be sneaky in taking pictures as the stained windows looks pretty cool. Last time I had walked past was when they were doing renovations and everything had been fenced off. I went off to find the Rose festival and found it teeming with people with stalls and bubble blowers everywhere. It was cool to see that the whole area was popular as it would normally be quiet. The roses were all out and I was happy to see them.

After spending some time at the Rose festival looking at the roses, I headed back down the hill into the city, but wanted to checkout the old Auckland railway building. It is now apartments and I took a look around on the inside and it had not really changed, but I wasn’t going to walk into the building further as I did not have a pass and thought I might get into trouble if I actually walked inside the locked area. By this time the arena narby was emptying of people and it was becoming busy so I thought I better make my way into the city, but went to have a look at the station known as the Strand, although this had last been used in 2011, but apparently the Northern Explorer uses the station. It had the history of the railway station and why it was no longer in use. I did hear sirens nearby and wondered if they were coming for me. I thought it best to make my way back to the hostel and ended up at the university after climbing some stairs. I knew exactly where I was and since I was needing relief, I visited the Uni library again without being noticed. I headed for the Queen street bus stop where I wanted the bus, but went into the Warehouse shop for new headphones as mine had died. I went around the block to get to where I needed again and had some homeless guy wanting to have a go at me outside Maccas. I glared at him and he backed off, literally stopped. From the bus stop I watched him and found he was doing the same with others so must have been on something. I headed back to the hostel with food as the sun was starting its decent from the sky and I could see the light starting to fade.

No comments:

Post a Comment