Monday, November 20, 2017

South to North Tour: Day 22 An Auckland packed day





By the numbers
17.44kms
25,319 steps
I became worried first thing this morning when I realised my charger was no longer working and I became worried my charger was now cactus especially once I woke up and tried it on the power in my locker. It was dead there too. I had thought about going out to Howick and Mission Bay on my last day, but then thought that I should at least do some packing after I post some more books off. While I tried to charge my phone upstairs, which actually worked. I didn’t want my phone at 80% as I knew the charge would go down quickly. I heard several sirens. Then I heard quite a few more and wondered what was going on. I was going out for breakfast and to get a new charger so planned to spend an easy morning that included packing as I didn’t want to disturb the others in the room.

When I walked into the reception area of the hostel I seen the flashing lights of a police van who was directing people away from Queen street. Going down Queen, I found there were firies, ambos and police all around blocking traffic off. Right across the street from the other YHA there was a fire and they were sorting it out towards the end as I had not been there from the start. It was apparently someones cooking. I had breakfast and headed to JBHIFI to get a new cable, which I soon found with help. I got myself a new belt as my old one is getting worn out and posted two books while I was in town. I headed back to the hostel and the fire brigade by this time had finished up and had two vehicles with lights, but traffic was running again on the street. I was hoping this wouldn’t happen when I was due to head home as I would have to walk a bit far with what I think to be a heavy bag.

I sorted out my bag and wander up the road to see if there was a book shop that had my interest and found that it no longer existed as there was a new building being built. I had to make sure as you never know what source I could miss out on. I found something even better than a bookshop and that was Hell Pizza. I plan to head there later for dinner. I walked back to K’ Road where I caught the bus down to Britomart. That was then when I got confused as to where I had to catch the bus let alone the bus number to Mission Bay. I found the right street and I couldn’t figure out where to go until I looked at the time table, which said its middle stop was Mission Bay and then I realised I shouldn’t be too worried. I jumped onto the first bus that takes me out that way. I knew where I wanted to go as I wanted to walk up to Bastion Point, which had the Michael Joseph Savage Memorial and being New Zealand’s first Labour government. Bastion Point has an interesting history as it was a Russian Scare fort and that was destroyed to make way for Tamaki drive, although there were fortifications for WWII and then a point in time with Maori land issue where there were arrests and all that there.

After doing my thing at the memorial and being buzzed by an annoying drone that I was thinking of throwing my camera at as it was going buzzzzzzzz. I was just thinking it was a lazy way of going through travel as then you don’t get to walk around a location and experience the beautiful views. Today was stunning and it was also really warm. I had water on me so all was good there. I headed down to Mission Bay, which had something to do with the Anglican Missions who would train Melanesian kids who would return to the islands after their training. I wasn’t going to walk far, but being a nice day I decided I would walk as far as St Heliers Bay and return. I didn’t realise that it would be a decent walk and I was wandering along a nice footpath, while people were sunbaking at the beach. I had music to listen to and kept on walking. I turned around once I ended up at the Glen and the historic fig trees that were growing out of the footpath. I could have caught a bus back to Mission Bay, but I just walked back instead. Part of the reason for visiting was I was looking for a retirement home for the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart located on Selwyn Avenue. I remembered the address, but not how far up it was. I wandered up the hill and came across the address alright and I wasn’t expecting it to be an actual retirement village. I wandered in and the location commanded some really stunning views of the area. I didn’t want to walk around the whole place as it would give me the risk of getting caught and into trouble.

I walked back down the hill and planned to catch the bus back as I was actually hot and bothered. I think I had enough sun for the day. I headed towards the bus, but got distracted by a little memorial dedicated to several Melanesian people who died at the mission. I never knew there was anything like that and I was happy, so headed to the bus stop. Several went by, but they were either not in service or were School buses. I had four others waiting when I seen a bus approach, but I never flagged it down to see if anyone else noticed. They noticed as it went past and I just smiled. Another bus did come and it took us into the Britomart area where I went to buy something for my sister who asked nicely. Now I was worried by how heavy my bag will be this time around, although we have to see don’t we. I didn’t end up with pizza, but I made sure I had something to eat before heading back satisfied with my last day in Auckland. I was lucky to have dropped my jumper off as I really did not need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment